Talk

Advanced search

Carseat on trains

(9 Posts)
RubySolis Sat 16-Jun-18 07:36:22

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I genuinely don't know and google isn't coming up with much. In just over 10 months me and my daughter will be traveling over 4hrs on a train to get from one end of England to the other basically and I am we just wondering do I need to take her carseat? There's no seatbelts on trains so I assume that the carseat wouldn't be secure anyway? Unless there's some other way? At the time of travel she will be just under 10.5 months old.

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
RubySolis Sat 16-Jun-18 07:37:59

We will be traveling in one month time sorry not 10

FatCow2018 Sat 16-Jun-18 07:40:00

There isn't any need for seatbelts on a train. I havw never used a carseat on one for any of my kids nor have I ever seen anyone else do so. Sit her on yout knee it will be fine confused

Housemover18 Sat 16-Jun-18 07:41:42

No you just have to hold her I’m afraid; but rest assured that travel by train is very safe.

If you need a car seat at the other end (if someone is collecting you by car for instance) then you can of course bring it on board it can just go in the luggage bit.

CAAKE Sat 16-Jun-18 07:42:43

Take your pram so you can put her down to sleep. There is generally a space in the vestibule where you can do this.

Jojoanna Sat 16-Jun-18 07:47:22

I took my son on a train for about 3 hours when he was 4 months old I just held him. It did mean I couldn’t move much.

RubySolis Sat 16-Jun-18 07:51:25

Thank you all so much! grin

VodkaRevelation Sat 16-Jun-18 08:32:43

Yes, as PPs have said, holding on your lap is your best option I have seen a blow up travel seat that I believe is designed for trains but A. I wouldn’t have thought most babies would be keen and B. You’d have to pay for seat.

Janek Tue 19-Jun-18 20:44:57

Look into getting a family railcard if you don't already have your ticket - they cost £30 (or less if you can find an offer) and give you 30% off the cost of your ticket 60% of the cost of a child ticket. I know your dc doesn't need a ticket, but if your ticket is expensive enough in the first place then doing it this way can be cheaper. It would certainly be cheaper if two adults were travelling (or if you make this journey a lot/often travel by train).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in