Talk

Advanced search

Get an exclusive 5% off your next Mark Warner holiday - call 0333 305 9795 and quote Mumsnet

Criteria for applying for passport online

(8 Posts)
KittyConCarne Wed 13-Jun-18 09:57:21

Has anyone recently used the online passport application process?

Haven't renewed my passport in years- will dig it out, but think it expired in 2010.
I was going to do it all by post but have just spotted that some people can now do it online, but can't find the criteria of who is allowed to do so.

Also, I had assumed I'd need my photos counter-signed, but just read somewhere on Google that you don't need to do this if you haven't changed appearance dramatically?

Any help would be much appreciated smile

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jun-18 11:32:51

I'd just do it online. You will be doing a renewal anyway. If you could still be recognised with the old photo then you wouldn't need a countersignatory. Even if you did you could still start the application online.

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jun-18 11:33:29

It's also cheaper to do it online

QuinionsRainbow Wed 13-Jun-18 13:57:17

If it did expire in 2010, it's not just a straight renewal, so please do check carefully about photos and countersigning requirements. We had to jump through numerous, to us unnecessary, hoops when renewing a similarly expired Irish passport earlier in the year.

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jun-18 13:59:15

It is just a renewal as the OP has held a passport before. It doesn't matter that it has expired

dementedpixie Wed 13-Jun-18 14:02:31

The Irish passport application looks as if it has stricter criteria than for a UK one so it depends on where the OP lives

LIZS Wed 13-Jun-18 14:10:39

I just had one processed online. No countersignatory required, photo was checked as it was uploaded.

Janek Wed 13-Jun-18 17:02:19

I renewed my dd's last passport online, then printed off the bit for the countersignatory. You still need to send off the old passport, so bunging some photos in too doesn't make much difference, does it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: