Talk

Advanced search

Where shall we go in France?

(17 Posts)
Ouch44 Sun 10-Jun-18 15:27:15

Planning a holiday by car last 2 weeks in August but we can't decide where to go. Driving ourselves mad looking!

Where have you been thats been lovely?

Our kids aren't fussed about the seaside and we don't really want to be where its very busy. We like cycling and mountains, pretty towns, rivers etc.

We have been to Northern France a couple of times now (Entretat area) but want to try something further afield. Not South of France though too far to drive and too hot for us.

Please save our sanity. DH keeps suggesting Ile De Re but it'll be crowded and expensive..wont it?

BrownTurkey Sun 10-Jun-18 15:29:31

The Jura is as you describe I think - no attractions etc but lovely countryside. We found it lovely and oddly remote/rural. Just don't expect loads to do or lots of cafes/ restaurants!

Ouch44 Sun 10-Jun-18 15:49:07

Thanks, have heard of the Jura but don't know anything about it. Off to google!

shellyandlayla Sun 10-Jun-18 17:57:04

I have a friend who has a house in the Pyrenees that she is just about to start renting out. The area sounds to be exactly what you are looking for. Her children are mad keen cyclists and they all love it there. She drives down from Brittany several times a year - think it's about 8 hours? I'm sure she could tell you more if it sounds suitable?

GemmaB78 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:59:30

Jura
Dróme
Normandy
Vosges
Massif Central

All regions within relatively easy striking distance of Calais and all lovely.

Toooldtobearsed Sun 10-Jun-18 18:02:42

Do NOT go to Poitou Charentes. Or the sunflower fields, or the rivers, with beaches, ice creams and canoes.
Do not go to the wonderful medieval cities and waterside cafes.

We have spent several years, flying into Limoges and exploring a huge area west and south. It is truly heaven on earth.

Reluctant to recommend...! But go 😂🤣

spinn Sun 10-Jun-18 18:14:23

We do a few Eurocamp sites in the alps and Jura region - can't remember whether these are campsite or the town names but lac de chalain in Jura and bourg d'oisans are both good areas for what you describe - bourg links directly up to les deux alpes ski resort which has loads of summer activities going on

FinallyHere Sun 10-Jun-18 19:21:16

Germany. Anywhere, really. Just sayin'

Ouch44 Sun 10-Jun-18 23:25:27

Been out and come back to lots of replies. Thank you! Will investigate tomorrow

It's got to be France though and I think the Pyrenees are too much for my cycling abilities!

Childrenofthesun Sun 10-Jun-18 23:32:11

There are lovely towns pretty much everywhere in France. If you want hills, the Jura is nice. I have also always heard that the Vosges mountains are lovely and if you were based there you could visit Strasbourg/Mulhouse etc that are supposed to be really interesting and even hop over the border into Germany.

Otherwise, Burgundy and Loire valley very scenic and full of interesting places to visit, but pretty flat.

frenchfancy Mon 11-Jun-18 12:08:31

Il de Ré will be less busy the last week in August as most French holiday makers have gone home to prepare for the rentrée.

The Vendée is good for cycling - lots of cycle paths and pretty flat. You could then visit the amazing Puy du Fou.

Follyfoot Mon 11-Jun-18 12:10:50

Come to the Limousin. It's beautiful.

Ouch44 Mon 11-Jun-18 14:31:29

Is that weekend 18th/19th going to be a mad time to travel then? We can travel on the 17th? We were going to get a ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg but could cost up flying.

Ickyockycocky Mon 11-Jun-18 14:40:01

Camping Du Lac Bordeaux, is wonderful. There’s a lake and brilliant cycling. The campsite is great, set in woods and is really peaceful.

ZenNudist Mon 11-Jun-18 14:44:56

Im flying to Limoges this year and driving to Dordogne area. I cant recommend it as not been before but seems to fit your requirements.

Childrenofthesun Mon 11-Jun-18 16:38:18

That won't be the worst weekend. Usually "Black Saturday" is the first Saturday in August when I am travelling and maybe the Saturday after. You could get people travelling back that weekend but hopefully in the opposite direction to you (unless you will be travelling East to West).

Ouch44 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:28:42

Think we have decided on going to the Loire and then onto Poitou-Charente. It sounds so horrible Toooldtobearsed Which are your favourite medieval towns? I love a waterside cafe too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: