Talk

Advanced search

Would you book a European holiday in April 2019 now?

(8 Posts)
ilovejammiedogers Fri 08-Jun-18 09:38:16

Considering we are suppose to leave the EU on the 29th March?
I obviously very much doubt there won't be something in place by then. I imagine we would just need a visa. But as it will be so new to us all do you think it could be abit chaotic during the first month or so?
Prepared to be told this is a stupid question blush

Ifailed Fri 08-Jun-18 09:42:39

The obvious thing would be to check the T&Cs and see what part of the holiday is guaranteed, and which isn't.

CardinalSin Fri 08-Jun-18 16:38:18

No, but I'm certainly considering booking one from the end of March for maybe a month or two, just in case...

frenchfancy Sat 09-Jun-18 07:02:05

I don't think you will need a visa for a holiday. We are already taking bookings for summer 2019. Just make sure you have travel insurance.

Japanquery Sat 09-Jun-18 15:56:53

Just because we are leaving the EU does not necessarily mean that other EU countries will require British citizens to obtain visas in order to travel there on holiday. In fact I think it's very unlikely that EU countries will require British citizens to obtain a visa for a holiday visit. There are plenty of examples currently of non-EU countries which don't require British citizens to obtain a visa for a holiday visit (eg my DS visited Japan without a visa. I think the rule was no visa was required for a visit of up to 90 days). Obviously, the issues for British citizens who want to work in EU countries post-Brexit are much bigger.

I assume that our EHICs will cease to be valid once we leave the EU at the end of March (though I think special arrangements have been agreed for British citizens who are part way through a visit on exit day) unless a deal is done on that point. In any event, you should always have travel insurance when travelling abroad, as an EHIC is not the same as comprehensive insurance.

One thing I would look into carefully is how the airline you are booking with will be affected by leaving the EU, as my understanding is that the right for airlines to fly certain routes depends on the airline being based in an EU member state. (Don't know the exact requirements and when they apply.) This article from 2017 reported that Easyjet was establishing a new HQ in Austria to address this issue www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/14/easyjet-austria-eu-flights-brexit

Ifailed Sun 10-Jun-18 10:12:38

It would only take one country in the Schengen Area to decide that UK visitors need a visa to put a spanner in the works.

Frenchfamille Sun 10-Jun-18 18:02:25

I live in France. I would book it now, i really dont think there will be a problem. My good friend has a fabulous place here in Vannes, Brittany which is always booked out way in advance because its so child-friendly and she gets repeat bookings year on year... she told me yesterday she had several enquiries for next summer! In short, I would not leave it because it does seem the really good places get booked up.
By the way, it isn't a silly question. Im sure there will be many stories which will and have worried us all. But I do think you will be safe to book and to get the best choices now.

itstimeforanamechange Wed 13-Jun-18 10:45:38

Although I am pretty sure that a deal will be reached, I am not confident to book anything until 30 March onwards. Travel insurance won't cover problems arising out of Brexit and if there really were civil unrest due to customs queues would you want to go away anyway?

If the Easter holidays were early next year I'd book to go away on 28th March so I was away when the fustercluck starts...but as it's ds' GCSE year we can't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: