Talk

Advanced search

What to take to UK SC place?

(11 Posts)
ShotsFired Mon 04-Jun-18 13:55:30

I am off to a UK holiday let soon. Have never rented a SC in the UK before - what do I need to know/take? Going for a week, adults only. Have all the info about how to get keys and where to park etc.

I know they don't provide towels, but other linens are there. Plus all the usual crockery, cutlery etc.

There is a large supermarket locally, but I will be arriving early Sunday (this is ok) so will probably pick up some supplies on Sat pm.

Thanks for any tips from SC veterans!

Boynamedsue Mon 04-Jun-18 13:59:17

I'd only get basics on the Saturday (tea bags/coffee/milk/bread). You might arrive and find that salt, pepper, oil etc has been left but equally there might be nothing. Best to do a big shop when you know what you need.

ShotsFired Mon 04-Jun-18 14:06:51

Thanks Boy. That's kind of what I was thinking, plus some travel snacks. Thought the trip to the shops would help me get oriented with the place and a leg-stretch after a long drive.

Boynamedsue Mon 04-Jun-18 14:18:44

Oh yes, travel snacks essential smile I'd also take a loo roll or at least some tissues, we've turned up at places with none provided and after a long drive you might want some! Presumably you'll be taking shower gel etc so at least you'll have something to wash your hands with if there is no soap.

TheFlannelsAreBreeding Mon 04-Jun-18 14:23:54

Things that aren’t worth buying for a weekend, like:
Salt and pepper
Tea bags
Coffee
Sugar (if you take it)

Check if they supply tea towel, oven gloves, washing up liquid, washing up sponge / brush, bin bags etc as it’s easy enough to shove in yours if they don’t.

I usually take something easy for supper (eg frozen stew that can defrost on the journey) and enough milk and cereal for breakfast. Then either shop there, or (usually) arrange for an online delivery to arrive on the first morning.

Yokatsu Wed 06-Jun-18 22:30:16

Corkscrew and can opener
A couple of Travel clocks, the cheap ones you get in pound land for the living room and bedrooms
First aid kit

I get the food order delivered the day I arrive. I usually only take coffee (because if if I don't have my own brand I get tetchy) (and sugar) everything else is substitutable

ShotsFired Thu 07-Jun-18 10:56:09

Thanks for the tips!

Good call on the loo roll, condiments, oven gloves, bottle openers etc.
I think I'll pack a bag of that stuff separately, so I can leave in the boot if not needed. I can see clocks in the pictures and I have my phone so should be ok there.

I'll be arriving for breakfast or brunch I think. So I'll probably have a cuppa (on the la di da "roof terrace with scenic views" dontachaknow!) when I get there, then take myself out for something to eat and get my bearings, get some food in etc.

Minniemountain Thu 07-Jun-18 19:56:50

A kitchen knife if you plan on chopping anything. The ones in SC are invariably blunt.

reluctantbrit Thu 07-Jun-18 20:49:44

Take some tupperware style containers for any left overs you want to put in the fridge or take away if you are planing picnics. I found these ones are th one thing always missing. Oh, and a decnt pocketknife. Well, apart from one SC where they had the whole picnic hamper/blanket/boxes etc down to a T.

I agree with knives but I normally just bite the bullet.

Google the opening times of any supermarket in driving distance or ask the landlord where you can shop.

ShotsFired Sat 09-Jun-18 10:50:15

ooh, knives and Tupperware - tick, tick! grin

Passthecake30 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:37:21

I usually organise a delivery for when we arrive and take nothing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: