Talk

Advanced search

Travel while pregnant

(7 Posts)
AmalMaarouf Tue 22-May-18 00:03:51

Can someone travel while she's in her 8th month pregnancy?

OP’s posts: |
TroubledLichen Tue 22-May-18 04:37:05

Yes if medically ok to do so. You need a note confirming all ok from the doctor/midwife and to take maternity notes. Then the airline will have their own policy, usually up to 36 weeks with a single pregnancy. And check travel insurance provides adequate coverage.

CluelessMummy Tue 22-May-18 05:26:17

Yes all good, just make sure you have paperwork from your LMC saying you are fit to fly. Keep it somewhere very handy too - I was asked for mine for a second time literally as I was boarding a plane and also carrying a toddler - it's not a good look to be rummaging around your bag at the gate!

reluctantbrit Tue 22-May-18 12:47:55

Make sure that your travel insurance covers not only your medical bill and labour but also all costs for the baby. Bear in mind that sometimes a baby is born early and you need to stay a while in hospital or aren't allowed to fly.

My niece just had a picture perfect pregnancy and water broke at 8 months, induction and birth was only 4 hours later. Baby and her are fine but this is one of the cases where things do happen without any indication.

Bowlofbabelfish Tue 22-May-18 12:55:49

You will need good insurance. It’s has to cover EVERYTHING. So if you go into labour and they divert the plane, it’s got to cover that. If you’re off to or through the USA be aware that the cost of NICU support for a baby can be millions. It’s not easy to find comprehensive insurance that will cover this. Remember that if you give birth abroad you’ll need to stay there until you can get your baby a passport.

You’ll also need a fit to fly note from doc/midwife. And even then the final discretion is with the pilot.

LoniceraJaponica Tue 22-May-18 23:49:33

If you mean during the final month ie 36 weeks onwards abroad on a plane, then no. I don't think any airline will take a pregnant woman at 36 weeks.

dingdongdigeridoo Sun 27-May-18 13:03:14

Check with the airline too. EasyJet will only allow passengers up to 35 weeks, while for BA it’s 36 weeks. Bear in mind flying is pretty uncomfortable as it is without being massively pregnant! You’ll need flight socks and comfy clothes.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in