Talk

Advanced search

Travel safety for toddler

(10 Posts)
probablynotthesame Fri 18-May-18 21:32:47

Hi I'm looking for some advice regarding safety whilst traveling.

I'm going to Spain with my two and a half (14kg) year old in June. I hadn't even thought about the coach transfer from airport to hotel, do people take car seats with them? Any recommendations?

OP’s posts: |
TroubledLichen Fri 18-May-18 22:03:04

Taking your seat and using it on a coach probably isn’t an option. Does yours require a 3-point seatbelt to fit it? If so the coach might only have lap belts. Then your car seat is probably wider than your average coach seat and if the arm rests don’t move it won’t physically fit. As your son is 2.5 I’d be tempted to get a booster cushion; you can buy inflatable ones or trunki make a backpack version. If you’re not happy with a booster, for me it would depend on the length of the journey/if any motorways were involved, then book a private taxi transfer instead and take your seat.

dementedpixie Fri 18-May-18 22:08:34

No we never ever took car seats for coach transfers on holiday

dementedpixie Fri 18-May-18 22:09:04

Boosters cannot be used with lap belts either

KeepYourFriendsClose Fri 18-May-18 22:13:21

This may be totally false but don't they strap the buggy to the bus? Similar when a wheel chair user is on board?? Sorry if this is incorrect as it's been a long time since traveling with my grandmother who used a wheelchair.

probablynotthesame Fri 18-May-18 22:15:53

My car seat I have is an isofix so I wouldn't imagine it to be compatible. I looked at the trunki booster seat but it was for greater than 14kg can't remember the exact weight. So do you think sitting on my lap/ own seat would be ok? I'm annoyed with myself for not even thinking of this!

dementedpixie Fri 18-May-18 22:16:08

No they have never done that on any coach transfers I have been on. There isn't normally any space for a buggy on board and it would go in the luggage compartment under the coach

TroubledLichen Fri 18-May-18 22:16:25

Oops sorry, seen so many parents use boosters/lap belts presumed it was ok- clearly not. That’s a little worrying confused

Just use nothing or book a taxi in that case.

dementedpixie Fri 18-May-18 22:17:19

Mine just sat on their own seat on the coach with their lap belt on

probablynotthesame Fri 18-May-18 22:18:41

Thank you for your replies I really appreciate your help smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in