Talk

Advanced search

Travelling to the States with a, ermmm, passport they won't like

(24 Posts)
AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:10:31

I.e. stopped every bloody time and asked many stupid questions when trying to look surprised and not remott pissed off. At random, they explain. Completely at random. Every time - every single for time.

With trumps recent shenanigans, dare we? I will go crazy-woman at security staff one of these days.

OP’s posts: |
WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Thu 10-May-18 17:12:45

You probably share a name with a master criminal.

Just stay calm and look mysterious

Cacofonix Thu 10-May-18 17:12:58

Sorry I am misunderstanding. Is it due to having a passport from a country the US are suspicious of? Or is it 'random' stops because you suspect your name/a similar name is on a watch list?

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:14:10

No sadly its for being in possession of a forrin name and place of birth. Thank God it's a UK passport.

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:15:06

And I've not been kind to the donald on here...

wizzywig Thu 10-May-18 17:16:24

Apply for a redress number op. Apparently it stops all the hours in immigration. Ive done it. But am still too scared to go to the states.

zzzzz Thu 10-May-18 17:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:17:57

What does that do? Is it through the airlines?

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:19:21

Visiting family/wedding - otherwise it wouldnt be my first choice.

Cacofonix Thu 10-May-18 17:20:02

How very dare you have a forrin name. grin

I also have a forrin name and a UK passport and have never been stopped like this in the US. I reckon they think you are a master criminal/gangster/activist. I expect Mumsnet is bugged and they've been following you....

But no it wouldn't stop me from going. When you're stopped, smile sweetly and say "i'm stopped every time, why is that?" See how far that gets you.

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:21:33

'It's random' 'not profiling' 'luck of the draw'

With this luck I should start doing the euromillions.

CointreauVersial Thu 10-May-18 17:23:36

A friend of mine was born in Libya (British, dad was working in oil industry when he was born). He just expects to be stopped at every border, and he is. Irritating.

Greenteandchives Thu 10-May-18 17:26:20

I was stopped and selected for ‘enhanced security’ at every stage when we went to the US, on a trip involving several flights. I think it was because the first time I got selected I kicked up a fuss about having a man rummaging through my handbag and personal things, and asked for a female. Obviously my card was marked thereafter.
I won’t go back. Very hostile IME.

TSSDNCOP Thu 10-May-18 17:29:06

There is no stupid like the stupid that is the essential qualifucation for a border security job at US airports. They were ignorant bigots before Trump was appointed and now have a mandate to treat anyone not flying on a US passport like shit.

My favourite security story was during the Ebola crisis. We were all asked if our country of origin was near Liberia: it was a London BA flight. If the dickhead in question could’ve found Liberia on a map I’d have eaten my suitcase.

wizzywig Thu 10-May-18 17:34:23

You apply via the homeland security website. The US gov do additional checks on you. Reduces the likelihood of getting stopped in immigration

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:39:34

Some airport airports are worse than ever. It's when you get pulled aside before and after a flight that is really irritating.

Almost as if someone can't tell their arse from their elbow...

And when they say 'it's random' I can feel lasers shooting out of my eyeballs.

Trilogy18 Thu 10-May-18 17:43:22

Yeah I don't think it is random in that they clearly have a list, but I do think how you get on it must be random. My DD (British born to British parents with a British passport) appeared to be on it from birth as she gets stopped every time. I did snigger when she was called forward (a) as a baby (b) as a toddler and (c) as a 7 year old. Did not take them long to wave her away again!

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 10-May-18 17:48:56

This is definitely profiling - which is pretty stupid considering the general countries where the 'baaaad dooods' actually do come from.

But then who would let s fact get in the way of a nice bit of racism? (And let it alllll out...)

redastherose Thu 10-May-18 18:14:30

Apparently you can apply for something called Global Entry. You have to have an interview and fill forms in etc but it basically green-lights you through International customs. Might be worth it if you fly lots and always get stopped.

penguinsandpanda Thu 10-May-18 19:56:11

My DH is foreign and everytime he travels alone his car get searched in the UK, never if I accompany him. They clearly know I can control his dangerous side 😂

ForgivenessIsDivine Thu 10-May-18 20:00:18

We have a 1970's camper van that we regularly drive between the UK and mainland Europe. We get stopped at the UK border every time. I had no idea that master criminals drove vehicles that struggle to make it above 60, stall if you push them too hard and are difficult to put into reverse if you need a quick get away!

penguinsandpanda Thu 10-May-18 20:51:05

They also drive 10 year old family cars and work in UK universities, hotbeds of international crime. But only when acting alone, if they have a British wife they are innocent grin

TroubledLichen Thu 10-May-18 21:50:20

I’m British, Caucasian and have a very bland if slightly dated English name. Every time I am selected at ‘random’. And I really do mean every single time I have boarded an aircraft to fly to the US. And it’s not sharing a name with a master criminal since I got married and changed my name from one equally bland English surname to another. I’ve never been drunk and disorderly on a plane, I don’t have a criminal record and the selection at random has been going on since I was a teen. I actually now live in the US (they had no issue giving me a visa so obvs don’t think I’m too dodgy) so make the trip fairly often as well.

I am applying for Global Entry though! Hopefully will have that before my next trip.

AsAProfessionalFekko Fri 11-May-18 07:34:24

Irish name maybe?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in