Talk

Advanced search

Put maiden name or not on ESTA form for USA trip??

(17 Posts)
GoldenLambs Tue 17-Apr-18 23:04:02

I am doing the ESTA form and it says "are you known by any other names or aliases?"

Ticket is booked in my married name
Passport is in my married name

UK drivers licence is in my maiden name confused

Do I answer Yes on the form and put my maiden name down? (Is it an obvious Yes, am I overthinking it?!)

Thanks for advice smile

OP’s posts: |
HeresMeh Tue 17-Apr-18 23:09:21

I put my maiden name in that section on my ESTA application when I filled it out.

I had zero problems with it and the application was processed within 24hrs.

FleurDelacoeur Tue 17-Apr-18 23:14:07

I think you have bigger problems to worry about as the name on your passport isn't the same as the name on the ticket!

GoldenLambs Tue 17-Apr-18 23:16:14

Thank you Heres

GoldenLambs Tue 17-Apr-18 23:17:44

Fleur - my passport and ticket names are both the same.

It's just the driving licence that has my maiden name on. I won't be driving there though so it's not like I need it with me for that.

MakeLemonade Tue 17-Apr-18 23:22:45

I recently completed an ESTA and didn’t put my maiden name under aliases, I had only got married name passport a few days before and had no problems with travel.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 18-Apr-18 08:06:37

Golden

I have also recently updated my ESTA. There is no need at all to put your maiden name under aliases, you're overthinking it.

(You may want to consider updating your driving licence however with the DVLA)

GoldenLambs Wed 18-Apr-18 10:21:03

Thanks Make and Attila.

I don't think I will put it in, it doesn't ask for maiden names or if you "have been known" by other names it asks if you "are known" in the present tense. I'm not, in any meaningful sense. Bank statements, passport, electoral roll etc all in my married name and has been for years.

GoldenLambs Wed 18-Apr-18 15:10:48

Well, I didn’t put in the maiden name in the end and it came back authorised very quickly, so that’s good smile thanks all!

SherbetSorbet Wed 18-Apr-18 15:59:09

I'm so glad you posted this. I'm checking flights right now for a US trip later in the year and have never heard of ETSA. Is this in place of the card that we used to fill in on the plane?

GoldenLambs Wed 18-Apr-18 17:41:07

Sherbert I don't know about the card on the plane, maybe that still exists as well, but I do know that you definitely need to have completed the ESTA regardless in advance. (And print a copy out to take with you). It costs a few pounds and lasts for 2 years I think. I would do it as soon as you have your tickets (not that you need to put any travel dates on, but just so you know it's done).

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 18-Apr-18 18:36:08

SherbetSorbet

The ESTA is the US government's electronic authorisation form that all passengers have to complete online prior to entry into the US. No ESTA = no travel.

Use ONLY the US government website for this as there are plenty of scammers out there who will willingly take your money. The ESTA costs $14 per person and is valid for two years from date of issue.

You still complete a customs form and that is usually given out either at check in or on the aircraft (one form per family)

This is the official US government website for making ESTA applications:-

esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Caulk Wed 18-Apr-18 18:43:56

But you are known as another name...

If you were asked to produce your driving license (police, hire car etc) that is the name they would know you by. Assume car insurance and registration is also in that name?

SherbetSorbet Wed 18-Apr-18 18:54:15

Thanks GoldenLambs and Attila, I did not know that. I've been over numerous times but last time was way back in 2005, I fly into Toronto and drive across the border where customs interview me, have me fill out forms, take my picture, fingerprints etc. I would not have known to do this before travelling.

lilli30101968 Sat 21-Apr-18 19:20:33

Hi Guys I just come across this post , someone could help me I am trying to apply for ESTA but it not recognising my passport number and I am trying to download my passport but the 2 last lines are not straight . Can anyone tell me another way to download my passport . Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 21-Apr-18 20:41:53

lilli

When applying for an ESTA you should only use the official US government website which is in my earlier post. There are plenty of scammers out there who will charge a small fortune and not all of them are legitimate either, people have been scammed.

The US government's official website does not ask you to download your passport at all, it only requests the number.

lilli30101968 Sun 22-Apr-18 00:26:21

I am using the website tou wrote Atilla at the top right you could just dowload the page with all your details it will copy all your details i find it strange is not recognise my passport nber when enter manually

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in