Talk

Advanced search

Which Greek island for warm sea?

(20 Posts)
Lotsofsausage Mon 16-Apr-18 21:19:35

I’ve been to kefalonia when I was very young but have wanted to holiday on a Greek island for a while. I’ve heard that some of the seas are warmer than others. Anybody know which islands have warm sea in September ?
Also: looking for boutique accommodation, by the sea, no high rise, no evening entertainment (and no kids with us so kids clubs not needed) anybody stayed anywhere like this ?

OP’s posts: |
ShinyMe Tue 17-Apr-18 18:47:37

We stayed at Boutique 5 in Kiotari, Rhodes, last October. I found the sea nice and warm.

The hotel was FANTASTIC. I've never stayed at that sort of hotel before but I absolutely loved it. It was small, well away from all the other hotels in the (small anyway) resort, had no kids allowed, no activities, no bands, no musical jollity. It was allegedly full but we never had any noise from any other rooms and only saw a handful of other guests pootling around. Breakfast was amazing and the staff were so good. I would 100% go back there right now.

Fintress Thu 19-Apr-18 09:00:44

That hotel looks amazing @ShinyMe! Right up our street. Unfortunately the flights from Scotland to Rhode are at ridiculous times, landing home after 2am at an airport 3 hours drive from us.

ShinyMe Thu 19-Apr-18 19:37:03

Yes, our flights were at awkward times too to be honest. We arrived at the hotel very late at night, and landed at home at stupid o'clock in the morning. It was totally worth it though, if that helps!

Fintress Thu 19-Apr-18 23:07:03

Thanks, I've taken a note of it as we're swithering about Greece in June.

SoMuchToBits Thu 19-Apr-18 23:21:44

Kefalonia is lovely, have been there late August. Fiskardo is a great place to stay, no high rise, the only evening entertainment is tavernas including the odd "Greek Night". Also really enjoyed Corfu, stayed at Agios Stefanos (NE), similar to Fiskardo. Have also been to Crete, but that can get windy esp in the North, and is generally a bit more touristy.

Follyfoot Thu 19-Apr-18 23:24:03

Paxos has lovely warm waters in September. Very beautiful and not a high rise in sight.

salsamad Thu 19-Apr-18 23:41:53

Have stayed in adults only hotels in Kos, Rhodes, Zante and Crete.
Oceanis Beach and Spa Hotel(TUI) in Kos is lovely and the sea was reasonably warm when we went Iast May.
In Rhodes you need to stay on the southern part of the island as the northern part has more wind/rougher seas etc. We have stayed in Port Royal Villas (Thomas Cook) in Kolymbia which was stunning but our absolute favourite was the boutique hotel White Pearl also in Kolymbia - it is now known as CasaCook Rhodes and is part of the Thomas Cook group of Boutique Hotels. Low rise buildings with beautiful rooms with swim up pools set next to hills/mountains, just low level music playing in bar in evening, very short walk to beach, 15 min walk to resort centre.

Laz33ydayz Fri 20-Apr-18 10:30:12

Thailand

ibicus Fri 20-Apr-18 10:57:40

Rhodes is very very touristy but you might love it. Just don't stay in an all inclusive hotel. I talked to a local and he said they took all the business away from the locals.

Tickety7 Fri 20-Apr-18 11:04:32

We visited Zante last May and the sea was gorgeous for the most part. I can imagine that in the hot blazing summer months, it would have been even warmer.

I would definitely recommend. We stayed in Alykanas in Zakinthos. It was truly gorgeous.

KeepCalm Fri 20-Apr-18 19:25:16

@Follyfoot how did you get to Paxos? I really fancy it!

We've been to Zante & Kefalonia and loved them both.

Every time I watch the Durrells am desperate to be back....

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 20-Apr-18 23:15:15

Lindos in Rhodes is stunning, lots of little boutique apartments with no pools or madness. It's very hilly but worth it, and the sea is warm and shallow for ages with gorgeous little coves. It's our favourite place in the world

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 20-Apr-18 23:17:02

Thailand

Ah the famous Greek island of Thailand 🤣

unintentionalthreadkiller Fri 20-Apr-18 23:24:34

Most of them in September to be honest, it's the best time for sea swimming!

Follyfoot Sat 21-Apr-18 23:05:26

@KeepCalm we fly to Corfu, then taxi across town to catch the hydrofoil or fast ferry to Gaios. If you time it right, you can have lunch in Corfu old town and a drink at the port.

Love love love Paxos. It's more expensive than some islands but there is no better way to spend a day than hiring a boat (no qualifications needed!), packing a picnic and then mooring in a deserted bay to while away the day. We always come home loaded down with olive oil from the fantastic shop where they fill your bottle from enormous barrels, and olive oil soap made by the family we rent from with their own olives. The people are wonderful.

KeepCalm Sun 22-Apr-18 06:53:41

@Follyfoot thank you! I was just checking there wasn't a way other than the one I'd found.

Unfortunately it's no use for us this year as DH's leave is in Oct and there aren't any flights from our regional airports at that time confused

Even though we've spent glorious October's in both Zante & Kefalonia <I love Greece, sighs>

I'd actually like to (lightheartedly) ditch DH and his stupid non leave and take the girls island hopping....

DEF next year!

Follyfoot Sun 22-Apr-18 09:46:14

That's such a shame. You could always fly to Athens (I love Athens airport!) and then a short flight to Corfu from there. Might that work?

KeepCalm Sun 22-Apr-18 11:46:23

I hadn't considered that but as we only have a week I think I'll leave it for October and revisit next summer..... <mutters about DH & his stupid allocated annual leave>

katherina65 Tue 24-Apr-18 20:50:54

We've been to Rhodes couple of times with my husband and we absolutelly fell in love with that place! Warm sea, awesome nature, also it is so different from two sides. If you go with children and want to get calm warm sea with no wind, choose Mediterranean cost. Aegean sea is so beautiful, but windy and suits less for that. Rhodes is so lovely, believe me you will like there! We've been there around 10 times so far and we are even thinking to buy a house there! Something like this house Just look, isn't that a paradise?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in