Talk

Advanced search

Corsica

(2 Posts)
Mistoffelees Fri 13-Apr-18 21:34:12

I posted a week or so ago about Greece/Spain recommendations but was unsure of the suggestions people made due to heat. I've been scouring the map for places and stumbled across Corsica which may be a bit warm but apparently there is an option to head for higher ground to escape the heat a bit?
Does anyone have any hints/tips for this location? (A week in the middle of July and we won't be able to hire a car)

OP’s posts: |
highlandcoo Thu 19-Apr-18 09:21:25

I can't offer any advice OP but would be interested myself if anyone with knowledge of Corsica comes along.

Can I suggest as an alternative either Collioure or Ceret in the Languedoc Roussillon area of France? Very near the Spanish border which gives you the option to travel into northern Spain too. Both charming small towns ideal for a holiday, and the 1€ bus would allow you to travel around the area a bit.

Collioure is a historic fishing port with good safe swimming. Pastel-coloured fisherman's houses and a stunning medieval fort, plus the famous bell-tower on the edge of the harbour. It does get very bustly and lively in August - mostly European holiday makers rather than British - but July would be perfect. You can also travel by train from there to Perpignan, Carcassonne and Barcelona among other destinations.

Ceret is very different in atmosphere. It's a beautiful, shady town well-known for its modern art museum and fantastic Saturday market. There's always something going on on the summer with various festivals and art exhibitions and often some live music outside the restaurants. More tranquil than Collioure .. depends what you like.

Good luck finding your holiday. I'll get to Corsica myself one day.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in