Talk

Advanced search

Luggage advice family of 4

(19 Posts)
stardustliz Thu 12-Apr-18 18:53:08

We are going on a beach holiday to Majorca for 7 night's (2 adults and 2 teens).Booked with 'on the beach'. We have booked one 15kg hold luggage so far (EasyJet) and can take cabin luggage 56x45x25cm (with no weight limits). I was wondering if one hold (15kg) and two cabin cases would be enough ? Or would we we better booking in another bigger hold bag instead (for an extra 50 pounds). We'd be just packing the standard clothes and toiletries. We are not taking beach towels. Thanks for any advice - first sun holiday in a while!! X

OP’s posts: |
4yoniD Thu 12-Apr-18 18:55:36

I could manage 1 big (hold) bag and 2 or 3 large cabin bags (ie special big cabin bags rather than a normal small handbag / rucksack) but must admit I normally do 2 big (hold) bags for a family of 4.

Uninspirednamewise Thu 12-Apr-18 19:17:39

One hold and two cabin cases sounds pretty challenging for 2 adults and 2 teens for a week long holiday. Would you not be able to take a third cabin case at no extra charge? Personally, I would pay to get at least one more hold bag.

noenergy Thu 12-Apr-18 19:19:40

I would take a cabin bag each not just 2. We all take a cabin bag each, if the kids r teens then they can manage them themselves.

stardustliz Thu 12-Apr-18 21:02:19

Thank you. Sounds like we need to either take 3 cabin suitcases plus the hold bag - or get another hold bag allowance x

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 13-Apr-18 16:11:27

I wouldn't bother getting another hold bag, one will be fine, plus a bag per person to go on the flight, whether they are wheelie cases or smaller bags.

If you don't have enough cabin bags you can buy another one for less than the £50 that it would cost to put a bigger bag in the hold, such as the Cabin Max ones from Amazon

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?hvlocphy=1006864&hvptwo&hvnetw=g&keywords=cabin+max+bag&hvadid=185220957287&index=aps&hvpone&hvlocint&ref=pd_sl_11nimwy123_e&hvpos=1t1&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt=e&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&hvtargid=kwd-24084480114&hvrand=13579644968535715539

Or a World's lightest It luggage from Argos or Matalan for about £30.

ChippyMinton Fri 13-Apr-18 16:22:32

Take a cabin bag each, plus the hold bag. As there’s no weight limit you should easily get a week’s worth of stuff in it. Buy toiletries/sunscreen airside if you want to save space/weight.

woodlanddreamer Fri 13-Apr-18 16:23:22

A cabin bag each would be enough for a week, so one hold bag & 3 cabin bags would be plenty. We find towels take a lot of room if they aren't provided but everywhere does those quick dry sports ones now, including Primark. It makes a huge difference to your luggage if you take those.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 13-Apr-18 16:25:15

If you're taking a hold bag, you might as well put all your toiletries and sunscreen from home in there. Saves paying over the odds at the airport or while you're away.

BalloonFlowers Fri 13-Apr-18 16:31:39

A couple of sets of clothes for everyone, a pair if shoes, and all toiletries in the hold bag.
A cabin bag each for clothes, books etc would be plenty.

Why just 2 cabin bags?

stardustliz Fri 13-Apr-18 16:46:05

Thanks. The Cabin Max and Worlds lightest cases/back packs look really good. We are going to have to buy cabin bags (as our cases are too big for flight restrictions) but they will be useful to have anyway for future trips! Will put all toiletries, shoes in hold bag with some clothes... and remaining clothes in the cabin bags. X

Lifeisshortbuytheshoes Fri 13-Apr-18 17:22:15

Wow everyone travels so light! I would not be able to cope without 2 hold cases 20kg plus 4 cabin bags for a family of 4 and even then it’s super tight!

selly24 Fri 13-Apr-18 17:26:20

Take a tube of travel wash then you can rinse through light items/ beachwear so should mean you can each pack a few items less?

Another tip, wear clothes to travel in that you were about to 'retire' anyway then you can bin them on arrival

Peonyflower37 Fri 13-Apr-18 20:52:54

You don't need a lot of clothing for a beach holiday; most of the time you will be in your swimmers and beach dress.

For a week only I will probably pack one handluggage for each member and buy shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and son tan lotion there and pack small face creams, etc. mHowever if you want to take all your toiletries and you are tight then add another cabin suitcase.

If you are going to a resort and going out for meals everyday then you will probably need more clothing than if you go self catering and don't go out as much. Some people really like to dress up in the evening and take lots of clothing, accessories, shoes.

It all depends of what you will be doing while there. I will probably add another hand luggage to be sure

CuboidalSlipshoddy Fri 13-Apr-18 21:09:22

However if you want to take all your toiletries and you are tight then add another cabin suitcase.

But remember that there are bottle-size limits on what you take in cabin baggage. I fly quite a lot, and I can tell when there's a bunch of holiday flights going out from the number of bottles of shampoo being thrown away.

Atticusss Mon 16-Apr-18 20:50:52

2 adults 3 kids 10 days and we've only paid for one hold suitcase so far. We will have 4 hand luggage, one is an infant so doesn't get hand luggage allowance but gets 10kg free hold luggage instead. I think we'll manage. We are all happy in flip flops every day, we'll buy cheap towels there, we'll be wearing shorts or swim wear every day, all inclusive so don't have to dress up much, I don't wear make up in the sun, we will buy toiletries there and sun cream at the air port from Boots. I find people are either in the of course hand luggage for a fortnight is enough to we have 4 suitcases each camp. No inbetween. I do wonder what the heavy packers take?

Handbag, cameras, laptops don't count as your hand luggage allowance you can carry them separately.

CuboidalSlipshoddy Mon 16-Apr-18 20:55:36

Handbag, cameras, laptops don't count as your hand luggage allowance you can carry them separately.

They do on Easyjet, unless you certain extra magic status.

Source: flew Easyket a couple of days ago, and watched people being told precisely this.

www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage

"You can bring an ADDITIONAL under seat bag if you’re an easyJet Plus cardholder, FLEXI fare, Up Front or Extra Legroom customer, or if you’re travelling with an infant (under 2) on your lap."

The stuff you can bring on if you aren't a cardholder (etc) is much more limited, and certainly doesn't include a laptop.

"As well as your cabin bag, you’re allowed to bring some extra things into the cabin. e.g. umbrella, overcoat, crutches, walking stick, one standard shopping bag of duty free goods bought at the airport"

Atticusss Tue 17-Apr-18 00:19:56

The different rules on each airline makes everything so complicated!

CuboidalSlipshoddy Tue 17-Apr-18 11:00:02

The different rules on each airline makes everything so complicated!

www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in