Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Amsterdam?

(18 Posts)
Kittykat93 Wed 11-Apr-18 20:59:41

I'm looking to book a weekend in Amsterdam for my partner's birthday. Would love to hear of any good places to stay, places to see etc.

Probably looking around October time. Imagine it's going to be freezing cold but ahwellgrin

OP’s posts: |
RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 11-Apr-18 21:02:45

Eat chips and mayo! Go to an Indonesian restaurant. Pootle around the Jordaan area and have a drink in all of the little living room sized pubs.

falaciousreasoning Wed 11-Apr-18 21:14:15

Find the smallest bar in Amsterdam. The woman who runs it is amazing, we ended spending an afternoon in there with a local guy who kept buying us drinks!
We went in October and the weather was quite mild.

Lweji Wed 11-Apr-18 21:17:16

For me it was the Van Gogh Museum. And the stalls selling bulbs.

But I didn't have much time for sightseeing.

Brakebackcyclebot Wed 11-Apr-18 21:18:54

I loved the Museum of Dutch Resistance - if you're into history. And the canals, just wandering.

ICantFindAFreeNickName2 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:24:49

I loved the Dutch Resistance Museum as well, probably more than the Anne Frank house. We went on a free walking tour which was really interesting.

heymrsb Wed 11-Apr-18 21:36:49

My SIL lived there for a while and hubs and I visited a few times- always in winter!

October might be too early for Christmas markets but we enjoyed those, and outdoor ice skating (with mulled wine and hot chocolate!)

I'd definitely recommend a boat tour. It helped us get our bearings and it's a nice way to see the city... there are also evening cruises etc so lots of choice depending on your budget. We also hired bikes for a few hours which was a complete riot - it was pissing it down but we had so much fun, they make it easy to cycle everywhere and there are always places to store your bike outside the museums and lots of cafes etc - we are not the most athletic but it was a good laugh!

There are lots of museums if that's your bag - we did Van Gough and Anne Frank, but there are tons, and I'm sure various galleries too. We also went to the cheese museum, and friends visited the sex museum after a few drinks when they last visited - there's something for everyone! grin

My favourite thing was just to wander and soak up the atmosphere. Jordaan (hubs refers to "hipster central") is wonderful and the difference between there and the more touristy central areas is huge. It's not a huge city though and the trams and bikes make it easy to get about.

If your intention is to pop into a "coffee shop" while you're there, I'd suggest some research in advance... MIL ended up in one last time she visited, she was shocked 😂 point being some are so nice you wouldn't even suspect. And others basically look like kebab shops... mostly in Centraal where the younger tourists who are there to get smashed are - pretty much! Hubs is straight edge so we never visited or partook but it's a part of the culture so thought I would mention.

We loved it, and always enjoyed the food and drink. I'm sure you'll have a blast whatever you get up to!

Kittykat93 Thu 12-Apr-18 07:14:00

Wow thank you for all the helpful replies they've given me something to work with smile

OP’s posts: |
EleanorRobinson Thu 12-Apr-18 07:37:58

Anne Frank’s House manages to be incredibly moving despite the continual snake of tourists moving through. Expect to queue, but worth it - or book timed tickets in advance and you can just walk in (if you can still do this - we visited five years ago))

tracelab Thu 12-Apr-18 19:45:14

I'm an Amsterdam blogger and have HEAPS of reccos for our favourite things to do, areas to explore, places to eat etc on the blog. Always super happy to help if you have specific questions, just mail me via the contact form or message me on here. You're going to have an amazing time!

Www.amsterdamwonderland.com

tracelab Thu 12-Apr-18 19:47:26

Oh and not generally freezing in October. Often bright and lovely and perfect for sitting g in terraces. Jan/Feb are the bitterly cold months

https://amsterdamwonderland.com/2016/10/19/amsterdam-by-season/

Kissthealderman Thu 12-Apr-18 19:47:42

Love it.

But stay away from the red light district. It's so depressing.

tracelab Thu 12-Apr-18 19:52:07

@kissthealderman totally agree. Absolutely dreadful and terrible for the many trafficked women who sadly end up there.

Dontfuckingsaycheese Thu 12-Apr-18 19:53:27

Me and ds went a couple of years ago. We went in October and weather was splendid :-) Coats not needed. Yes - if you book Anne Frank house on-line you can walk past miles of people queuing. We booked that first then booked the trip around it - that's why we went.

We stayed on the Botel Amstel. Loved it. You catch a free ferry to it from Grand Central station where a lot of the action is. You can wizz about places on the trams. I was too cowardly to hire cycles.

eloisesparkle Sun 29-Apr-18 16:40:02

Make sure you see the Anne Frank house - book online before you go.
The Church in the Attic is worth a visit.
Do a walking tour and a boat tour.
There is an Ibis opposite the main train station with trains regularly to and from the airport. There is also an hotel shuttle from the airport to the hotels.
The chips with mayo are delicious.

Undies1990 Fri 11-May-18 20:51:09

Google free walking tours - lots of fun and a nice way to find out interesting things you might miss otherwise. Not free of course, they ask for a "tip" at the end.

We stayed at the Ibis Styles opposite the main train station. Great location. Lovely hotel, basic but you won't spend much time there!

Anne Frank house, of course - book early in advance.

Mooch around, take in the atmosphere and treat yourselves in the pancake house.

budgiegirl Mon 14-May-18 15:06:55

I’m just back from 3 nights in Amsterdam , it was lovely.

We stayed in Zaandam, a pleasant area just outside of Amsterdam, but very quick and easy to catch a train to Amsterdam Centraal, trains were every 10 minutes or so, cheap, and quick into the centre. Hotels were generally much cheaper than the equivalent in the city centre.

For a fun trip on the canals, look up ‘Those Dam Boat Guys’ for an entertaining trip round the canals. Small boats of 10 passengers, they encourage you to bring wine/beer/“other substances”, and give you a relaxed, informative tour of the canals. It was a lot of fun.

At the moment you can only book the Ann Frank House online, as they are doing renovations so they are limiting the number of visitors, and you can’t buy tickets on the door. Not sure whether this will still be the case by October.

We hired bikes for a few hours, which was a lot of fun.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Mon 14-May-18 15:11:03

Hire bikes
Go to museums
Walk around a bit
go on canal tour
walk in Vondel Park
Smoke weed

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in