Talk

Advanced search

Zika virus advice - Mauritius

(11 Posts)
JBo2 Mon 09-Apr-18 07:23:02

Hi,
We're booked to go to Mauritius in June. I've looked on the cdc website and gov.uk one too, and whilst it looks like there are still no reported cases of zika, I'm worried whether that means there are definitely none (is it possible for someone have it and not know?).
We're TTC so trying to assess the risk.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Also does anyone have any recommendations of great travel insurance to cover if we needed to cancel if Mauritius became on the zika list?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
mummymeister Mon 09-Apr-18 16:55:18

Personally I really just wouldn't book this if you are TTC. The issue about cancellation is that they would probably only let you cancel and pay out if you were actually pregnant at the time of travel not just TTC. as the TTC bit is a choice and something you could just not do whilst on your holiday so really wouldn't rely on travel insurance as a solution. The issue about things like Zika is that you don't know about it until cases have been confirmed which, if you are already out there, is too late. either go and delay TTC for 6+ months when you return or pick somewhere else. its not just the risk of Zika its the whole worry whilst away and when you get back that is the issue in my opinion.

ILikeMyChickenFried Mon 09-Apr-18 16:56:11

It's very easy for people to have zika and not know it. The virus is generally very mild.

JBo2 Mon 09-Apr-18 20:50:57

Thank you for your responses. We're already booked but are looking at where else to go instead. We can change for a small charge.
Zika is in so many countries now, including some parts of the US, and when you look at the map, Mauritius is so far away from countries with Zika. In theory it could appear anywhere I guess.
It's difficult to know if I'm joining the dots and wrongly worrying about Mauritius just because it's in the Indian ocean.

ILikeMyChickenFried Mon 09-Apr-18 22:01:54

I got pregnant and spent half of my pregnancy in Singapore when they were having a lot of zika cases so I feel overly familiar with it. Is the current advice that Mauritius is safe? Travel insurance will cover your cancellation if the advice changes. My sister had to cancel a trip to the Caribbean when she was unexpectedly pregnant.

JBo2 Tue 10-Apr-18 07:39:35

Ah yes so you will be very aware of it!
It's still not listed as a country with evidence of risk on the cdc website and www.gov.uk/guidance/zika-virus-country-specific-risk.
It is categorised as level 4 due to having the same type of mosquitoes and proximity to countries that do have it (though they're very far away!)
www.who.int/emergencies/zika-virus/classification-tables/en/

I'm sure it's fine but I don't think I want it in the back of my mind. We already have some odds slightly stacked against us due to my age. Shame because we really wanted that type of holiday.
I really appreciate your responses X

specialsubject Wed 11-Apr-18 09:42:17

Buy that insurance today, you should have bought it the day you booked. Any accident or illness and you lose the lot.

mummymeister Wed 11-Apr-18 09:43:25

cant you find the same type of holiday somewhere in Europe?

Farahilda Wed 11-Apr-18 09:47:31

Insurance will pay out if travel advice changes on zika and you are pregnant.

It probably won't for TTC, as that is considered a voluntary choice.

Whatever you decide, it's best to insure your holiday on the day you book it, unless you can afford to lose the cost shouid something come up before insurance is in place.

JBo2 Wed 11-Apr-18 12:58:18

We literally only just booked at the weekend. I was going to get insurance same day but we then decided that we needed to look into changing the holiday as we did some further digging on zika. As you say, I expect that TTC would not be covered so the path of least resistance for us is to change destination. We're in the process of doing this.

Thanks for your help ladies x

JBo2 Wed 11-Apr-18 13:03:02

Just in case anyone else reading this post is doing so for advice, as stated, Mauritius is still not on the 'evidence of risk' list, it is purely personal choice for us to not go there so that it's not on our minds for the reasons I mention.
This may not be an issue for someone else smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in