Talk

Advanced search

20th Anniversary Break

(12 Posts)
Onebusymum Tue 03-Apr-18 13:17:04

I have reached the 20 years married mark and want to go away with my DH.
Ive been looking at city breaks in europe, we have come up with either, Rome, Amsterdam or Brugge.
What are everyones thoughts on these places please.

OP’s posts: |
tracelab Tue 03-Apr-18 22:48:37

Amsterdam is a wonderful place to head. What time of year would you be there?

I'm an Amsterdam blogger and there's loads of inspiration and recommendations for things to do and places to eat on my blog (hire a private boat to cruise the canals, visit some amazing museums, eat in some wonderful restaurants - or grab some fabulous street food)

www.amsterdamwonderland.com

Bruges is lovely but very small and much less variety of things to do. Rome also fab but hectic and too hot and crowded in Summer.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 04-Apr-18 07:03:09

Exactly what tracelab said, and I'm not even an Amsterdam blogger! I've always been intrigued by Bruges because it's apparently so beautiful but when I looked into it there didn't seem like enough to do. But I'm quite an active person anyway.
However, if you're going in or before June, and you do like history, then Rome might just tip the scales.

Onebusymum Wed 04-Apr-18 07:10:00

Hi thanks, He fancies Brugge for the beer!!! It will be June that we go.

tracelab Wed 04-Apr-18 08:53:23

There is great beer in Amsterdam too!

Check out this place for a start (next to one of the only windmills in Central Amsterdam)

www.brouwerijhetij.nl/history/?lang=en

www.brouwerijhetij.nl/tours-in-the-brewery/?lang=en

The next link isn't to my blog but gives a further good overview of the craft beer scene - Brouwerij Troost and Odipus Brewing have a great reputation - the latter serves allegedly the insiders' best burger in Amsterdam courtesy of The Beef Chief

awesomeamsterdam.com/local-amsterdam-breweries/

Onebusymum Wed 04-Apr-18 09:07:56

Maybe i wont show him, ill get no sight seeing done!! 😂

Yogagirl123 Wed 04-Apr-18 09:13:33

Congrats Op flowers it is our 24th wedding anniversary soon we are off to Alicante for a 3 night city break, hoping for some sun 🌞

Onebusymum Wed 04-Apr-18 12:27:23

Congratulations to you too. Sun seems appealing at the moment!

Onebusymum Thu 05-Apr-18 08:24:32

Which area of Amsterdam would you say was the best for staying in?

tracelab Thu 05-Apr-18 08:40:36

@Onebusymum Amsterdam is really small, so accommodation right in the canal ring is expensive and even if you stay slightly further out it will be a short walk or tram ride to the centre. It kind of depends on your budget but in 'desirability-order' I would loosely say the following:

Canal Ring
Jordaan
The Pijp
The Museum District
Amsterdam West
Amsterdam East

Amsterdam North is less accessible so I wouldn't stay around there. If you have questions about any specific locations let me know x

Onebusymum Thu 05-Apr-18 09:10:57

Thanks thats great ☺

tracelab Fri 06-Apr-18 19:47:17

Pleasure. There are other smaller areas that are nice too. Feel free to let me know if you see something and want to check (contact form on the blog is the quickest way to reach me)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in