Talk

Advanced search

Terrified about plane seats size

(8 Posts)
BioGirl Sun 25-Mar-18 17:53:16

Okay, so I am well aware I am a big girl. I weigh just shy of 23 stone And i am 5ft 11. I am a UK size 26-28. I am in the process of losing weight but I have only a month until I am travelling on a plane not once but twice....

The first is with work with virgin atlantic and the second is a holiday with Ryanair. I know the seat width is 17.5 and 17 respectively. And I am terrified I will be asked to buy two seats or kicked off the plane.

I am not worried much about the seatbelt. If I need an extension that's fine. I'm just scared I won't fit at all and get kicked off. Has anyone got any reassuring stories for me because all I'm reading online is horror stories and it's keeping me awake at night shockconfusedblush

OP’s posts: |
BritInUS1 Sun 25-Mar-18 18:01:39

I am the same size as you and I travel all the time. The seats can be a little snug but I have never been asked to buy another seat ir anything, I just ask for a seatbelt extension x

Ilovewheelychairs Sun 25-Mar-18 18:04:28

I’m same size as you and fitted in okay. As PP says, it can be snug, but no real problems. I fitted in the seatbelts too x

user1483387154 Sun 25-Mar-18 18:09:14

Try and book an aisle seat if possible but not an emergency exit row because if you need an extension belt they will have to move you (from experience) . Ask for an extension belt when you board

LoniceraJaponica Sun 25-Mar-18 20:29:29

They won't kick you off or fat shame you. I agree that booking an aisle seat is a good idea. See if you can get an extra legroom seat. At 5'11" standard seats are a little "snug" in terms of seat pitch.

BennyTheBall Sun 25-Mar-18 20:34:30

I would book an aisle seat and if needs be, you could 'spread' a bit beyond the seat.

shoelaces Sun 25-Mar-18 21:00:22

I think the problem is they was the seats are made, there is nowhere to 'spread' or spill over to. Except upwards. I would try wearing some Spanx to see if that helps 'channel' some of your curves upwards where there will be more space iyswim.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 25-Mar-18 21:59:46

You could try booking premium economy with VA. Something to remember is that the armrests must be in the down position for take off and landing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in