Talk

Advanced search

Urgent advice...

(6 Posts)
Thesleepthiefbaby Tue 20-Mar-18 14:33:39

Sorry, subject matter probably too dramatic but I fly tomorrow morning for the first time with baby.

Baby going on lap. I'm taking car seat for the cars. Does it just go in the hold 'as is'? It cost c£200 and for safety reasons don't want it chucked around. It's probably too late to do anything now. Will they accept it just as a car seat (no bag)? Thanks blush

OP’s posts: |
Thesleepthiefbaby Tue 20-Mar-18 15:53:43

Bump

coffeeforone Tue 20-Mar-18 16:01:03

When we've took a car seat before they've just given us a plastic bag at the check in desk to put it in. We checked it in at the desk with our luggage. Sometimes they keep it separate from the normal luggage, and sometimes it just came out on the belt. We didn't do anything special to protect it. We also took an umbrella stroller that we kept until the gate.

coffeeforone Tue 20-Mar-18 16:09:14

I should say our baby car seat went on 6 flights in the first 6 months without any extra protective packaging except the airline bag, and was never scratched or anything. I guess there is no guarantee that it won't be chucked around but I guess you have to just trust the baggage handlers. Ours wasn't cheap and is still in good condition and I plan to use it again for DC2.

Thesleepthiefbaby Tue 20-Mar-18 16:49:12

Thanks Coffee. That's really reassuring!

sentenceinterrupted Tue 20-Mar-18 17:40:14

Not all airlines give a plastic bag; make sure the straps are tight and tucked away and/or take your own bag. Some airlines require you to put it through (and collect) as oversized luggage. We've travelled a lot and our seat has a few scratches from airlines but completely safe to use. Don't get precious about it or you may end up fretting and/or upset on hols about something that is really designed to keep your child safe (and will still do so even with small marks on it)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in