Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for a Med cruise?

(12 Posts)
DramaAlpaca Tue 20-Mar-18 15:22:38

We went by bus to Pisa, it was cheap & easy. Just look out for pickpockets on public transport though. They are rife.

Snowman1235 Tue 20-Mar-18 15:20:16

Anyone stopped at Livorno?
Should we go on the set excursion to Pisa/ Florence or is it easy to get the train?

OP’s posts: |
NoWayNoHow Tue 20-Mar-18 13:05:09

We did a 2 week Mediterranean cruise with Thompson last year - it's brilliant, just like a floating All Inclusive hotel where you land somewhere new every day, and we got to see so much.

However, 2 weeks was too long for DS (9 at the time), and was too tiring for us as adults as there wasn't much relaxing time.

Next time, we'll probably do a "Cruise & Stay" option - most Thompson/Tui go from Palma in Mallorca, so we'd do a one week cruise followed by a 4 night hotel stay on the island. Best of both worlds!

FakeMews Tue 20-Mar-18 12:54:10

I'd been to both Venice and Dubrovnik 30+ years ago (pre Bosnian War) and both were much changed for the worse. The crowds in Venice were horrendous and I bought the World's Most Expensive Coffee in Dubrovnik!
The fjord to Kotor was also magnificent.

ruby1234 Tue 20-Mar-18 12:37:43

FakeMews
We really enjoyed Venice! Although it was boiling hot.
The sail back down the lagoon was a fantastic journey and was a real highlight of the trip.
I agree Split was lovely.... not sure I would bother returning to Dubrovnik though, didn't live up to my expectations at all.

FakeMews Tue 20-Mar-18 11:57:08

ruby1234 We have done both of those Thomson cruises. Loved the Adriatic one apart from Venice. Split was the unexpected highlight.
The Malaga cruise was also great though Valencia was a disappointment.
It sure bumps the price up when you take two teens with you.... good job the ship is AI.

ruby1234 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:21:23

Hi, we did Thompson (Now arella) cruises last year, flew to Corfu, then sailed for a week to Slovenia, Kotor -Montenegro, Split and Dubrovnik - Croatia and Venice, which was fab, then we stayed in Corfu for a week at the end. Cost around £3k for 2 of us, all inc on the ship and half board in Corfu.
This year we are flying to Malaga, then cruising to Menorca, Cote d'Azur - France, Barcelona, Cartagena and Valencia - Spain, then a week in Marbella at the end. Again costs around £3k for 2.

Snowman1235 Sun 18-Mar-18 19:12:27

Thanks , quite pricey but there are just 2 of us so wouldn’t be as expensive

FakeMews Sun 18-Mar-18 18:43:34

It was about four years ago and about £6000 if I remember correctly, for four adults (teenage DC).
Was great fun and teens loved it. A week of sightseeing visiting ports such as Barcelona, followed by a beach holiday.

Snowman1235 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:37:52

FakeMews - Do you mind me asking the cost of that ?Thanks!

FakeMews Sun 18-Mar-18 16:14:14

Well you can do both. We did a cruise and stay one year. One week med cruise plus a week in Cala D'Or.

Snowman1235 Sun 18-Mar-18 09:13:55

Thinking of going on one this summer
Or any good ideas for a week in the sun in a nice fairly quiet resort?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in