Talk

Advanced search

Scotland trip with 1yr old - what to do?

(13 Posts)
TopKittyKat Sun 18-Mar-18 08:47:49

Hello Mumsnetters
I'm after inside knowledge of where to go and what to do on our upcoming trip to Scotland (June). We will have our 14month baby with us.
We are travelling from Surrey and will be stopping in Jedburgh, Stirling, Oban, Isle of Mull, Fort William, Aviemore.
Hit me with your must-do activities that will entertain us and our little one?
Are there any good softplay/parks for little ones. It's her holiday too and as she will be missing her usual baby groups at home, I want to make sure she had fun too.
What cafés, restaurants are good for families.

Thank you in advance! 😁

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Sun 18-Mar-18 12:10:36

Briarlands Farm in Stirling is always good. Feed the animals, bounce on the jumping pillow, have a go on the tractor go-karts or toddler trike. There’s also a zip wire and mini diggers, as well as a sand pit, a maze and tractor rides. It will be strawberry season so you can pick your own before visiting the tearoom to sample the homemade cakes and light snacks. There are seasonal events and Messy Mitts classes for pre-schoolers.
Blair Drummond Safari and Adventure Park is a great day out for the family. There isan amusement arcade, fun fair, pedal boats and bouncy castle. There is a boat trip to chimp island and sea lion and bird of prey demonstrations. Walking through the pets arm area you can get up close and personal with all the friendly animals. Driving through the game reserve you will get up close with bison, rhinos and lions to name but a few. Don't forget the elephants, giraffes, zebra, meerkats, bears, penguins, lemurs and much more. There are also regular keeper talks at the meerkats, penguins, and other enclosures.

TopKittyKat Sun 18-Mar-18 14:12:36

Thanks. I'll add those to our list.

fourpawswhite Sun 18-Mar-18 14:18:25

Just outside jedburgh, as you head onwards towards Edinburgh on the a68, is harestanes visitor centre. It has a cafe, play park, indoor nature activities and short nature walks. Good place to stop and stretch legs.

Jedburgh jail is popular as well but won't take long.

TopKittyKat Sun 18-Mar-18 15:09:44

Brilliant! I new Mumsnet could help us 😁

BikeRunSki Sun 18-Mar-18 15:11:07

That is a huge trip!!!

TopKittyKat Sun 18-Mar-18 16:24:21

It is! Can't wait 😁

meala Sun 18-Mar-18 16:40:49

Go to the landmark forest park outside Aviemore. My dd had a great time there when she was one. There's walks through the forest on raised trails up at the tree top level along with a range of play areas for different ages.
If you get a nice day, the beach at Loch morlich is great for a day out. Loch an Eilean is a lovely walk. The Highland wildlife park is also near Aviemore and is fab.

TopKittyKat Sun 18-Mar-18 17:20:00

These are great suggestions. Thank you!

BikeRunSki Mon 19-Mar-18 12:27:48

The Kelpies (in Falkirk)) and Falkirk Wheel are worth a visit when you're on your way to/from Stirling.

DrWhy Mon 19-Mar-18 17:12:47

The Cairngorm wildlife Park near Aviemore is brilliant.
Take lots and lots of midge repellent for the west coast though. I live on the East coast of Scotland and although it’s very beautiful wild horses couldn’t drag me to the west coast in June!

Redtartanshoes Mon 19-Mar-18 17:15:22

Truthfully I’d scrap Oban and Fort William
Unless you are meeting people there. FW esp is a ghost town tourist trap these days.

Arasaig, Mallaig, Pitlochry, Perth all much nicer

Bowerbird5 Sun 01-Apr-18 23:07:00

Highland Wildlife Park is a must. Landmark if you go back when she is older. It has lots of climbing apparatus. Little steam train at Boat of Garten.

Do stop at House of Bruar at Blair Atholl. The food in the restaurant is amazing so make sure you are hungry. Lots of outlet shops with local produce.
Drumnadrochit is lovely too. Great pub at Dores. Fort William is always busy and she will enjoy it.
That is a long drive from Surrey.Second about the midges. Take long sleeved tops for your daughter.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in