Talk

Advanced search

What toys can I take that will entertain my 2yo for a month?

(24 Posts)
Eachpeachporch Tue 13-Mar-18 20:35:57

So we're going to Copenhagen for a month in a summer as DH has a secondment and I only work in term time anyway. We won't have much space for toys in our luggage. Does anyway have any suggestions for toys that will bring the maximum of enjoyment but take up the minimum of space (and weight)? DD will be 2y10m.

lorelairoryemily Tue 13-Mar-18 22:54:46

Bit of an odd question! Don't you know what her favourite toys are? Pick a few and pack them

DayKay Tue 13-Mar-18 22:59:54

Play doh with cutters
Sticker books
Some puzzles
A mr potato head type
A tea set

Holycrapwhatnow Tue 13-Mar-18 23:00:58

Take a few favourites, maybe some stuff that's easy to use again and again like playdoh (only if you have hard wood floors where you are staying!), drawing materials, a few sticker books? You can always get stuff there, it is the home of Tiger! Every time I travel with my bunch I'm surprised by how little they actually need, and how happy they can be with a selection of pots and pans and some dry beans / pom poms etc to 'cook' with, or washing a doll with an old toothbrush and a cotton bud.

percypig Tue 13-Mar-18 23:01:09

Stacking cups/boxes, little people or animals, a few cars... we took these things on holiday (though longest was about 3 weeks) with our kids from when the eldest was 1 up to a couple of years ago when the youngest was 5. Stacking boxes/cups can be used to hide the wee figures, make houses or villages etc and a variety of people/animals/cars can give hours of fun too. If they’re plastic then they can go in the bath/pool too.

Crickettime Tue 13-Mar-18 23:02:39

A packet of balloons - take up next to no space but hours of fun

Cuppaand2biscuits Tue 13-Mar-18 23:03:12

What sort of accommodation will you have? You will be able to find toys there. Pouring water from containers. Making stuff from recycling, playing shops with real food. Baking. You can make playdoh really quickly with just flour, salt, oil and cream of tartar.

IWantMyHatBack Tue 13-Mar-18 23:03:21

Aquadraw is great for this, folds down to nothing.
Sticker books.
What about a couple of inflatable beach balls or other beach toys.

Buy playdoh there

IWantMyHatBack Tue 13-Mar-18 23:04:00

And yes to Tiger!

Littlelambpeep Tue 13-Mar-18 23:05:02

Playdoh - at least you can just dump it them. Push and pull toys (like wow toys)

Duplo is a winner here.

Other that that - I would buy stuff out there.

Mistydampandwet Tue 13-Mar-18 23:05:50

Aqua draw was really for both my DS

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Tue 13-Mar-18 23:05:53

Wilkinsons have little fold-up scenes of fairy tales with small soft characters. We've got Goldilocks and the Three Bears but they do a few. They're a decent travel substitute for the immense conurbation of Happyland DD had when she was 2.

scrappydappydoo Tue 13-Mar-18 23:06:34

I would take some little people like happyland type thing and then when you're there reuse some cardboard boxes to make houses, cars etc.

DancingLedge Tue 13-Mar-18 23:09:24

At that age, sticker scenes- fold out background, replaceable stickers to create scenes. 2 of those were small enough to have in handbag, invaluable to fill the time between ordering and food arriving. Kept soley for eating out.

ShovingLeopard Tue 13-Mar-18 23:09:49

For my DD, similar age, I would say a doll's house with furniture, figures, animals, toys etc, but I can see that lugging a house would be a problem! Could you take the bits and then when there buy a cheap Lidl-equivalent house? Or improvise with a cardboard box?!

Other stuff could be toy food, pans etc.

The orchard toys games are not bulky, but are good fun. DD especially likes Pizza Pizza

yummyeclair Tue 13-Mar-18 23:11:14

Fuzzy felt and lots of small toy cars plus a second-hand innotab or innotab max

Eachpeachporch Tue 13-Mar-18 23:12:42

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was thinking of packing cream of tartar so I could make playdoh. I'm also thinking of taking some paints so I could make some claydough food while there. Inflatables, stacking cups and an aquadoodle would work well in particular I think.

As for the question of don't I know what her favourite toys are... they are too big to pack! (Duplo, brio track, dolls house, play food, books, bike).

We're hoping to stay in an Air BnB apartment. The ones geared up for families are generally unavailable in September unfortunately.

ShovingLeopard Tue 13-Mar-18 23:13:55

Also, magnatiles/magformers.

And this folds up small once out of the box www.amazon.co.uk/Jumbo-Peppa-Giant-Snakes-Ladders/dp/B000OQ996Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=peppa+pig+snakes+and+ladders&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1520982752&sr=8-1

DancingLedge Tue 13-Mar-18 23:15:09

This sort of thing www.amazon.co.uk/s/?hvlocphy=9041117&hvptwo&hvnetw=g&keywords=reusable+sticker+book&hvadid=223981763975&index=aps&hvpone&hvlocint&ref=pd_sl_8exn5p6k7s_e&hvpos=1t1&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt=e&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&hvtargid=aud-410883361193:kwd-467500025&hvrand=12012814177951887857

ShovingLeopard Tue 13-Mar-18 23:15:54

And some of the kids magazines like CBeebies Friends, Octonauts mag etc come with little toys that you can carry about v easily. I usually have an assortment in my bag for restaurants, train journeys, doctors waiting rooms etc. They're very travel-friendly

OlennasWimple Tue 13-Mar-18 23:26:21

Buy paint there (imagine the mess in your case if it leaks....)

jellybeanteaparty Thu 15-Mar-18 22:33:29

Once was delayed in an airport for 28 hours with a 2 year old l had packed some bubbles ( mini favour size you get at weddings) kept a lot of bored children amused for some time! Perhaps take an empty pot and make your own when you get there?

MinnieMousse Thu 15-Mar-18 22:42:26

Happyland or similar role play figures. They often come with some sort of building that you can transport them in and play with, eg we've got a fairy house, a cottage and a castle. They kept my DDs entertained for hours at that age (and they still play with them now they're school age).

Toomanycats99 Thu 15-Mar-18 22:48:08

Melissa and Doug do big pads with reusable stickers. They are good. Quite a few different themes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: