Advanced search

Gluten-free and vegetarian food in Portugal?

(14 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Tue 13-Mar-18 15:41:02

We've just booked a holiday to Portugal and it didn't occur to me at the time to check what kinds of food would be available, I thought it may be similar to Spain and I could eat paella and omelettes. But from reading up it looks as though it is mainly meat/fish and the vegetarian options probably wouldn't be gluten free.

Anyone who has been, will I starve for a week?? We're staying near-ish to Albufeira but not within walking distance.

Neolara Tue 13-Mar-18 15:46:29

As a non fish eating vegetarian, I found options when eating out pretty limited. I imagine if you eat fish you'll be fine.

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 13-Mar-18 15:47:21

No I don't eat fish.

themueslicamel Tue 13-Mar-18 15:57:44

I am veggie and know Albufeira well.

Everyone speaks English and if you need a supermarket there is a well stocked Lidl and Aldi next to each other with loads of stuff you can eat.

If all else fails there is English Iceland next to Algarve shopping 10 mins by cab.

Where are you staying?

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 13-Mar-18 16:19:17

Thanks themueslicamel

We're staying in Olhos de Agua. I'm happy that I'll be able to buy stuff from supermarkets (apparently look for 'isento de gluten'?) but we will be eating out in the evenings so it was more restaurants I was thinking about. Loads do gluten free meat/fish dishes and there looks as though most do some veggie dishes but there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap and I need GF and veggie (I'm a nightmare I know!)

We're going with my parents and they won't want to get a cab to Albufeira to eat every day so I'm hoping there will be somewhere we can eat in Olhos de Agua.

themueslicamel Tue 13-Mar-18 20:24:25

Have you considered hiring s car from Faro airport?

Look up Luzcar, would only ever use them, very reasonable and not sneaky damage inspections!

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 13-Mar-18 21:49:38

We could hire a car, but we did specifically book somewhere near the beach and restaurants so we wouldn't have to drive once we were there. I guess if you're suggesting that you don't think there will be anywhere I can eat in Olhos de Agua?

I just wish I'd checked before we booked. My dad also has coeliac disease and he's been to Portugal before, but he eats meat so I guess there's more choice for him.

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Wed 14-Mar-18 07:37:08

Hi, not sure about gluten free, but beware asking for vegetarian dishes in Portugal, as one I ordered (from the vegetarian section of the menu) contained chicken! I found Indian and Italian restaurants were my best bet.

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Wed 14-Mar-18 07:39:36

Btw, have you looked on trip advisor? You can search for gluten-free options on their restaurant listings.

soulrider Wed 14-Mar-18 07:44:39

Coeliac in Portugal is fine. Gluten free and vegetarian would be difficult but that is the same in the UK too.

soulrider Wed 14-Mar-18 07:47:13

Restaurants with one gluten free option of a side salad seem to tick the box on tripadvisor, I've found it pretty useless for actually knowing if there'll be decent options for coeliacs.

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 14-Mar-18 08:34:50

Yes I looked on Trip Advisor and found a pizza restaurant that was tagged as gluten free, looking at the menu it was possibly the olives that were GF.

soulrider Wed 14-Mar-18 09:14:43

From memory, a lot of the places we went to had vegetarian rice dishes which I guess would be gluten free (not sure about the stock they'd use). Not much else though

Costacoffeeplease Wed 14-Mar-18 09:32:01

Look for ‘sem gluten’ all the supermarkets stock gf food, and actually eating out in restaurants is easier as a coeliac than as a vegetarian (my mil is coeliac and I live in Portugal, so have lots of experience of this situation)

Be careful of things like bean stew (feijoada) as it usually has chorizo or seafood in it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now