Advanced search

Surviving the cold on holiday!

(5 Posts)
Teacuphiccup Tue 13-Mar-18 12:04:53

I’m going to Warsaw at the weekend and the temp is set to drop from around 12 degrees which it is today to -12!
I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere so cold, my plan is to layer up and wear a hat and gloves but has anyone ever been on holiday somewhere so cold? Are you still able to wander around doing touristy things or should you stay indoors?
Thanks in advance.

reluctantbrit Tue 13-Mar-18 12:58:02

You certainly can be outside, I am sure most people living in the colder countries do not hibernate. I lived in Bavaria and we had winters with -10 during the day and nothing stopped.

Layers are good but think about your shoes. Think snow boots or hiking boots with thick socks not little leather boots. Gloves should be ideally thermal as normal knitted ones are pointless.

We all have power banks which double as warm stones so can be kept in the pocket for instead heat.
Take regular breaks to warm up

LoniceraJaponica Fri 16-Mar-18 23:33:38

Definitely wear footwear with thick soles. Buy insulating soles as well. We went to Finland one February and it was -7 during the day. I wore thermal leggings under my thick leggings, several layers, a down coat, snow boots, a snood, thermal hat and thermal gloves. Take sunglasses as sunlight on snow is blinding.

penguinsandpandas Fri 16-Mar-18 23:41:34

We went to Lapland and it was -27😱. We had snowsuits, gloves, snowboots, thermal vests etc and you could go out but only for c2 hours then needed a warm then could go back out again. Layers were good there as very hot indoors, was about 27C inside.

I would get snowboots, thermals, layers, ski type gloves and very warm coats / hats etc.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 17-Mar-18 07:05:16

-12 is fine. As a PP said though, get your feet wrapped up because walking on cold floors will hurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now