Advanced search

Car seat abroad

(12 Posts)
Babysham18 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:08:34

I'm going to Lanzarote and planned to take the car seat for the uk taxi to the airport (15 min drive) and taxi to villa (15 min drive). My friend has said that you can have baby (8 month old) in a sling for taxi rides. Does anyone know if this is legally correct?

user1483387154 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:10:12

Please dont do that, whether its legal or not its bloody irresponsible and dangerous

Babysham18 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:43:36

Thanks, but do you know whether it's legally correct? I'm surprised if it is.

Babysham18 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:53:05

To be clear I've paid for extra equipment for flight, so plan to take: car seat, cheap buggy and Sleepyhead. I don't require a discussion on morality. Im checking legality.

Reading back, I suppose I left a red herring by giving too much info on the distances we will travel but put it in in case distance was a factor

TroubledLichen Thu 15-Mar-18 08:07:48

In most places commercial vehicles, which include taxis, are exempt from car seat laws. It’s definitely the case in the UK, New York and the US state where I live. So without being 100% certain as I’ve no clue in Portugal specifically, I’d guess that your friend is probably right. I’m not sure why she’s mentioned a sling though, on your lap wouldn’t be illegal either. Although obviously a car seat is safer so take one if it’s practical to do so.

Buglife Thu 15-Mar-18 08:16:55

Yes it is perfectly legal for a child to travel in a taxi without a car seat in the U.K. They have to be in the back. Under 3 without a seatbelt and over 3 using the car seatbelt.

I don’t know about abroad, but it’s much more likely that the car transfer company provides car seats, at least when I’ve been to Italy all the airport transfer companies allowed you to book car seats for the journey. Not sure about general taxis.

NanooCov Thu 15-Mar-18 08:31:02

It is legal in the UK. Not sure about the law in Lanzarote (Spanish jurisdiction not Portuguese as a PP said but I'm sure you know that).
But do not put them in a sling! If you choose to travel without them secured, just place them on your lap. Definitely do not put them in the seat belt with you. And a sling is probably not a good idea either. Better for them to be separate from you so not pinned/squashed in the event of an accident.

TroubledLichen Thu 15-Mar-18 08:34:34

Don’t know where I got Portugal from, obviously Lanzarote is Spain, I’ve even been there before... Haven’t had my coffee yet this morning! But my point that it’s probably legal in a taxi still stands. blush

Babysham18 Thu 15-Mar-18 19:54:27

Thanks all, much appreciated.

Babysham18 Thu 15-Mar-18 19:57:10

Did anyone buy a travel bag for their car seat or just put it in the hold on its own?

dementedpixie Thu 15-Mar-18 20:03:06

I doubt it would be legal as the child wouo5d be pinned between the belt and you and a crash would squash them and probably kill them. You could have them on your lap with you wearing the seat belt

DreamingofSunshine Sat 17-Mar-18 07:20:17

babysham I bought a bag on Amazon for £10. It has rucksack straps which is really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now