Talk

Advanced search

Pre-paid credit card

(16 Posts)
JudgeyJudy Mon 12-Mar-18 17:33:52

I'm off to Florida in a few weeks. I've been saving madly for ages so have quite a bit of cash. I don't have a credit card because of my very tight budget. Has anyone used a pre-paid credit card?

CurlsandCurves Mon 12-Mar-18 17:40:03

Not a pre paid credit card but I use a debit card that you load up with cash prior to going away. And you can load it t up with more than you need just in case and just draw it out when you get home.

buttermilkwaffles Mon 12-Mar-18 22:44:12

Get a Starling bank account and card and you will get the Mastercard interbank exchange rate (best rate) and no charges/fees. Or Monzo, which is similar although they now limit fee free cash withdrawals from ATMS to a max of £200 every 30 days.

JudgeyJudy Tue 13-Mar-18 10:53:13

Thankyou @buttermilkwaffles I'll look at those online.
@CurlsandCurves which debit card did you use?

Aftershock15 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:03:41

We use a Revolut card for overseas. Best exchange rate, easy to top up with Sterling and lots of security.

misscph1973 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:15:21

I have used a Mastercard Cash Passport from Sainsbury's Bank, Revolut and Monzo, and I have been very happy with all 3.

JudgeyJudy Tue 13-Mar-18 11:55:33

Just ordered a Sainsbury's Cash Passport. Thanks @misscph1973

misscph1973 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:33:45

If you order travel currency and pay with a Sainsbury's credit card, you get extra Nectar points.

The app is easy to use, great for following your spending and topping up.

buttermilkwaffles Tue 13-Mar-18 12:49:10

I had endless problems with Revolut - app stopped working (card is useless without app) - contacted support, said it was urgent as I was going away in 2 weeks - they said tech support was looking into it but never got back to me. Tried using card anyway as had a few hundred pounds on it - all payments were rejected. (Luckily I had a monzo card as a back-up). Tried using it back in the UK - payments still rejected. Contacted support again - no response. Deleted app and left it for a few months - reinstalled app and it amazingly it now worked. Tried card - payments still being refused. Transferred balance back to my bank account and gave up. sad

misscph1973 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:07:00

I have heard about problems with Revolut, buttermilk, and I have experienced some hickups with the app, but nothing major.

I think it's always good to take more than one card with you. I had an easyjet pre-paid card, and on on holiday the PIN didn't work and there was zero support. I often take a pre-paid card, credit card, debit card and sometimes also cash just in case. And there are still places that don't accept Mastercard, and pre-paid cards are not good for deposits on car hire (I refuse to use that kind of car hire place as they always find a way to withhold your deposit. I would rather pay a but more for full insurance and peace of mind).

MaiaRindell Tue 13-Mar-18 13:22:00

I think I'd put on the minimal amount, then check it's all working abroad before adding more.

mintich Tue 13-Mar-18 13:30:17

Yeah I used the Thomas cook one in new York with no problems

CurlsandCurves Tue 13-Mar-18 16:24:36

I used the Thomas cook one

Chippyoik1 Fri 16-Mar-18 21:55:02

My family and I travelled to Florida 2 years ago. For the first time ever I put £4000 on a travel card from Thomas cook. On the 4th day we realised someone had somehow taken every last penny from the travel card. Luckily for us we had a credit card with us to use for the duration of our holiday.

Lesson learnt DO NOT let any restaurant or bar staff take your card to a till without you watching their every move.

Hope you all have a fantastic holiday x

helpfulperson Fri 16-Mar-18 22:35:32

I have aa travel cards in both sterling and euros, I love them and have never had problems. I like being able to add a bit of spare money if I have it throughout the year.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 17-Mar-18 20:23:07

If you are hiring a car you will need a credit card. The fees for using a debit card in the US are brutal so a credit card is definitely the way to go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: