Talk

Advanced search

Boarding passes on a smartphone

(28 Posts)
HereComesTheSun1 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:48:34

Has anyone here checked in for a flight via a smartphone app?

If my friend checks us both in for a flight via a smartphone app and, therefore, has both boarding passes on her phone will we both be able to go through security, boarding etc with the boarding passes on the same phone (as long as we stick together) - or would I need to also download the app and have my boarding pass on my own phone?

It's Ryan Air, by the way, although I presume the process is probably the same whatever the airline is.

DramaAlpaca Sat 10-Mar-18 23:52:23

I always use the app for Ryanair flights these days, it's very straightforward.

I'm not absolutely certain but I think you'd need your boarding pass on your own phone. There'd be a lot of faffing about checking in otherwise.

Bumblealong1 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:53:36

W often have them on the same phone. It’s no issue. Only at some airports there are the security barriers so the phone just needs to be passed back for 2nd person to scan. But we have done it many many times- never an issue.

CharlieandLolaCat Sat 10-Mar-18 23:54:53

You just need to download the app as well and you can then get the boarding pass on yours too.

Catsandkids78 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:55:19

Same phone is fine do it at least 2-3 times a month

mojito55 Sun 11-Mar-18 00:06:12

You only need the QC code, get her to do the checking in and then send you a screenshot of your ticket. And turn your brightness all the way up or it might not scan smile

afreshnewname Sun 11-Mar-18 00:07:12

Same phone is fine, my husband does ours I don't mess about with stuff like that 🙈

HereComesTheSun1 Sun 11-Mar-18 00:28:08

Thanks. My phone's a bit of a museum piece (with a tiny amount of storage for apps) so hopefully we'll be okay with hers - but I'll ask her to send me a screenshot as well as back-up.

GrockleBocs Sun 11-Mar-18 00:30:20

I've done it as the phone holder for 2 passengers with no problems.

Cavender Sun 11-Mar-18 00:41:32

When DH and I travel with the kids we have all the boarding passes on one of our phones, never had a problem.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 12-Mar-18 08:55:21

I'm always cautious and print stuff off like that in case my phone decides not to behave.

DotCottonDotCom Mon 12-Mar-18 08:58:59

I normally have 4 passes on mine, no issues

DancingHipposOnAcid Tue 13-Mar-18 23:25:00

With most of these apps the passes can be emailed to the other passengers then saved in the wallet on an iPhone. Could you do that?

LoniceraJaponica Wed 14-Mar-18 06:06:15

Again the assumption that everyone has an iPhone.hmm

DancingHipposOnAcid Wed 14-Mar-18 06:14:22

I'm just offering advice on the one I know about. OP said she had a smartphone but didn't specify which.

Look, use the advice if it's useful to you and ignore if it's not. I don't see you adding anything helpful to the thread hmm

S0upertrooper Wed 14-Mar-18 08:40:13

I'd worry about her loosing her phone or if something happened to her how would you access her phone. I'm a bit of a dinosaur with tec so print everything off!!!

InspiredByIntegrity Wed 14-Mar-18 08:45:09

On one phone is fine. Actually works well for online check-in when overseas as you don't have to hunting for a printer.

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 08:47:03

I have BUT had a very close call where phone was delayed for hours and stupidly packed phone charged in hold luggage and phone nearly died. If you use boarding passes electronically, make sure you have a phone charger handy or a paper copy printed just in case!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 14-Mar-18 08:47:14

How do you cope with those electronic gates?

CalliopeCass Wed 14-Mar-18 08:47:26

Phone was delayed? I mean plane was delayed! Doh.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Wed 14-Mar-18 08:57:54

I just scan my pass, go through, and pass the phone back. We've gone through with all 4 of us on one phone and it's fine. They can't expect everyone to have their own, what would kids do?

PrimalLass Wed 14-Mar-18 09:02:14

She should be able to print yours too.

Eilasor Wed 14-Mar-18 20:52:22

You don't need your boarding pass on your own phone. When we travel (with Ryanair often visiting family in Europe) I have all boarding passes for the whole family on my phone including dc, DH and often my sister and brother. I book them, so it's just easier. Never occurred to us to put them on our own phones.

BishopBrennansArse Wed 14-Mar-18 21:02:25

Yes, I had the whole family's for easyJet

headintheproverbial Wed 14-Mar-18 21:07:05

I always have all four boarding passes for me, DH and the kids on my phone. No probs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: