Talk

Advanced search

Get an exclusive 5% off your next Mark Warner holiday - call 0333 305 9795 and quote Mumsnet

LA with toddler

(6 Posts)
Hatewaybuloo Fri 09-Mar-18 08:59:31

We’re going to the US when toddler will be about 20 months. We’ll be travelling a fair bit between Oregon and LA.
Transport and car seat etc is all sorted in Oregon as we have family there, however I’m stuck as to what to do in LA. We’ll be staying at a friends house and husband will be working about a 1/2 hour / hour drive away each day for 3 days. I think it’s the law to use a car seat for under 4s in California- can you hire Uber drivers with car seats? Does anyone know if it’s simple enough to hire a car for the 3 days with a car seat picking up and returning to LAX?
Also I think we’ll be staying in north Hollywood, but spending a bit of time downtown- does anyone have experience of these areas with a toddler?

Rainshowers Fri 09-Mar-18 09:11:04

I'd hire a car if you can. The traffic is so unpredictable I'd be worried about how long you'd have to wait for an uber and you need a car to go pretty much anywhere. We picked our car (and seat) up at LAX, it was fine but the queue was pretty big so be prepared for a bit of waiting around.

If you have a day to fill and don't mind driving, I'd recommend the KidSpace Children's museum in Pasadena, we went on a whim and DD loved it (she was 2 and a half so a little older). She also enjoyed the little train up to the Getty museum, and running around outside in the grounds.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 09-Mar-18 12:29:13

Uber is ubiquitous in LA and I have never had to wait for an age for them to arrive. I am certain you can hire Uber drivers with car seats. To request Uber Car Seat, tap the 'car seat' option after selecting the uberX vehicle type. A $10 surcharge is added to uberX pricing for Uber Car Seat trips.

If you do hire a car do not hire it at LAX; use somewhere like the local Hertz or Avis hire car office to where you are staying.

Hollywood and Vine areas, although level, are not great for or with toddlers due to the sheer number of people milling about.

useful website:-

www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/child-safety-seats

Hatewaybuloo Sun 11-Mar-18 07:08:15

Thanks both for the advice.

Yeah I did think that Ubers would be easily accessible and would probably have an option for a car seat. I guess it just depends on how much we’d use the car but we’re only there for 3 nights, just need transport to and from LAX. Husband would probably get an Uber to the office in downtown, we wouldn’t be doing any day trips as I definitely don’t want to drive and husband is working the whole time. I would want to meet husband in downtown for lunch once or twice and Uber would be the best option for that.
Lots to consider though... thanks!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 11-Mar-18 08:38:46

You could try using the Metro as well re your trips to downtown and would be feasible too if his office was located nearby. The LA metro is both modern and accessible.

loopsngeorge Tue 13-Mar-18 22:39:11

I lived in LA for a short while when my son was 3 - we had a great time! We were in Pacific Palisades/Brentwood so I don't know NOrht Hollywood specifically, but The Getty Centre as mentioned above is amazing with lots of hands on stuff. Another must see is the Noah's Ark at the Skirball Center. I also remember going to a railway museum, all outdoors with these absolutely huge engines which DS loved - Travel Town Museum in Griffiths Park. Further afield, Adventure City in Anaheim is a toddler orientated theme park. There are loads of great kids playgrounds in the Palisdaes/Brentwood/Santa Monica areas, and of course the weather to enjoy them!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: