Talk

Advanced search

Entertainment for children on a long haul flight

(11 Posts)
Pinky14 Wed 07-Mar-18 19:29:38

Hi
I have a 5 yr old and 8 yr old and we are going on a long haul flight. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what games or books etc to take to keep them entertained?

Thanks I’m advance x

Screaminginsideme Wed 07-Mar-18 20:21:25

The little colouring packs from crayola? The one with 4 felt pens and lots of little pages to colour are good, small and not too expensive. I also took some polly pocket type toys. I wouldn’t worry too much if the flight has in seat entertainment systems that can distract them for hours. The more you take the more times you have to get up and down to get it out the bag: rescue it from under the seats etc.

JackieReacher Wed 07-Mar-18 20:24:17

Magazines with freebies on the front! Nat geo kids / beanie / girl thing / top of the pops. And airline entertainment- take own headphones though

savoyCabbage Wed 07-Mar-18 20:25:47

Mine literally watched tv for 26 hours.

Pinky14 Wed 07-Mar-18 20:42:44

Ha ha savoycabbage, love it. Maybe I’m over thinking it and the little screen addicts will amuse themselves with the in flight entertainment smile

Gendarme Wed 07-Mar-18 20:45:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Wed 07-Mar-18 20:48:05

will there be movies/TV to watch?

If not, download some onto a tablet and get splitter headphones

loads of crap kids magazines, fidget toys

CAAKE Wed 07-Mar-18 20:55:14

We go between Australia and the uk twice a year. iPads are essential in my opinion grin but also get them proper kids headphones and the attachment to plug it in the plane.

CAAKE Wed 07-Mar-18 21:03:32

I should also say that mine reliably sleep 6-10 hour stretches on the flights, so don't panic too much! Try to schedule a night time flight so their body clocks are ready for sleep when you board.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 08-Mar-18 18:59:16

Search and find books like Where's Wally? We bought the Magnificent Mini Book Box for long journeys but there's also a travel collection. www.amazon.co.uk/Wheres-Wally-Magnificent-Mini-Book/dp/1406356484?tag=mumsnetforum-21
A doodle book like this one I bought my son www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Drawing-Doodling-Colouring-Usborne/dp/1409563898?tag=mumsnetforum-21 Usborne books are brilliant for this type of book.
A tactile logic puzzle for one-player like this one www.wickeduncle.co.uk/presents/boys/age-8/penguins-pool-party---fun-3d-logic-game or www.wickeduncle.co.uk/presents/boys/age-8/temple-trap
A small Addictaball www.amazon.co.uk/Kidult-Addictaball-Small-Maze-Puzzle/dp/B002ZSSEG2?tag=mumsnetforum-21
On one flight I remember we took a Pom-Pom making kit which successfully occupied them. It required scissors briefly, but the cabin crew were happy to let us use theirs. DD also spent a long time engaged in a friendship bracelet kit and a French-knitting spool is a good travel toy.
This boxed Spirograph is another successful and quite cheap travel toy www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/creativity-music-and-partyware/art-sets/the-original-spirograph-design-set-boxed/p/149468
For younger children, art kits such as
www.argos.co.uk/product/5329377 Bunchems On the Go easel
www.argos.co.uk/product/7236530 Mosaic kit that's both boys and girls enjoy

Pinky14 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:20:27

That’s amazing, thank you so much 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: