Talk

Advanced search

First time abroad with 11 month old twins?!

(15 Posts)
Hannahplunton Sat 17-Feb-18 18:34:04

Hiya! I've got twin girls and we're planning a holiday to Portugal in May. The twins will be almost 1 (their birthday is the 14th May and we get back on the 13th)
I'm a bit neurotic about stuff and I'm worried about germs etc. What I can do about formula milk? Sterilising? Drinking water for them? Can I use the water out of the tap to make their bottles? What extra bits I need to take? Pretty much everything! grin Any advise would be much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Hannahplunton Sat 17-Feb-18 18:49:42

Also, I thought about doing disposable bottles but if they have three a day each that could work out quite expensive!

namechangedtoday15 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:00:40

Just one point- just check with airline but it used to be that only one baby could be on each bank of 3 seats (so each row) on the plane. The only way we could sit 'together' (2 adults with babies on our knees) was across the aisle. We were constantly passing things to one another as we only had 1 changing bag etc.

CottonSock Wed 21-Feb-18 15:13:51

Bottled water is usually available that has a baby symbol on. Lower sodium. I took milton when bottle feeding and a big empty tub. They might be eating quite well by then. I always took some baby pouches, but then buy fruit etc, and give bits of our food

CottonSock Wed 21-Feb-18 15:15:44

I went to portugal last year in May and it was wonderful. Are you near zoomarine? My dds were almost 1 and 4. Baby ate loads of spaghetti Bolognese, she loves it

TroubleinDaFamily Wed 21-Feb-18 15:28:36

When my DS was little, granted 17 years ago, you used to be able to get bottle liners that didn't work out that expensive.

The best piece of advice I was given vis a vis a holiday with a little one is that it is childcare in a warmer climate. grin

Once you approach it from that angle and don't expect anything else then you relax and enjoy as your level of expectation is so much lower.

mrsfuzzyboots Wed 21-Feb-18 15:32:39

The current NHS advice is to sterilise up until baby is a year old so if it were me and considering the twins are almost there, bottles would get a hot wash with washing up liquid in the sink and then I’d chuck a kettle of hot water over them. If you still want to sterilise though then use Milton. I’d also use ready made formula, way easier than making it up on the go. And you might find that by May they’re down to 1-2 bottles a day. As a PP has suggested look for the baby symbol on water. Evian is definitely ok though and is available practically everywhere. Check if there’s a supermarket nearby for baby food (especially breakfast options if they’re early risers) although at a year old I’d expect they would manage fine at any restaurant.

Travel wise, snacks and toys for the plane. Change of clothes for everyone (including you and DH) in case of unexpected vom.

Hannahplunton Wed 21-Feb-18 17:19:50

Thank you everyone for the advise!! I think I’ll look into Milton! smile
Yes we’re going near zoomarine! We’ve been before and swam with the dolphins! Was incredible. So we’re definitely going to go again this year. We also swam with sea lions at aqua show park hotel which is definitely worth doing!! It’s so surreal.

Yeah we’re having to sit separately unfortunately sad as the babies have to have a window seat for some reason.
Also thank you for the tip about the baby symbol! I didn’t know anything about that!

I definitely feel a bit more at ease now. I’m such a worrier when it comes to the unknown! Thank you everyone for your replies smile

RubySlippers77 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:56:45

In case you didn't know - your buggy has to be a one piece that folds up to go on the plane - so the Bugaboo Donkey, Uppababy Vista, iCandy etc are out as you have to take them apart. We bought a cheap Joie Aire twin to take but our boys hated it sad switched to the City Jogger instead, great buggy.

You can do a big Boots online shop to collect airside, saves you packing everything to take through security (baby milk, wipes, nappies, Calpol, sun cream etc).

Make sure you have your EHIC cards and Travel insurance too just in case!

Hannahplunton Wed 21-Feb-18 21:37:02

Oh excellent. Didn’t know that but I’ve just bought the britax double stroller, which is lucky because I my other ones the silver cross wave!

And I’ll definitely do that with boots! Thank you smile

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Wed 21-Feb-18 21:44:43

I've flown loads of times with a 2 piece buggy, if you've got a buggy bag it's fine!

RubySlippers77 Wed 21-Feb-18 22:57:52

Ah perhaps it depends who you fly with! Emirates told us definitely not even with our own bag. We didn't want to take an expensive buggy regardless so it worked out ok!

Also pack a spare top for yourself if you can. I know from bitter experience that it's not pleasant to fly covered in baby vomit sad

CottonSock Thu 22-Feb-18 08:37:20

Never had an issue with any pram. Last year ours broke whilst away and would not collapse. They still put it onboard for us.

Irishgirl81 Thu 22-Feb-18 21:46:35

I tend to travel a lot with my kids and always worried about germs etc. but then I discovered Milton. I use the washing up liquid to rinse off milk residue then sterilize with Milton tablets. Both items give me peace of mind knowing that my kids are drinking from sterile bottles and are so easy to use.

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Fri 23-Feb-18 07:13:04

ruby I would echo extra clothes too... for you... a whole outfit really. Bitter, bitter experience.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in