Talk

Advanced search

How much has your holiday cost and where are you going?

(65 Posts)
crazymumofthree Sat 17-Feb-18 16:10:14

Just looking into holidays for this year, we haven't been abroad for about 4 years, we have been to cornwall the last couple of years and love it, generally it's about £1000-£1300ish for a cottage 7 nights in August and then spending money about another £6-700 but can be lower or higher depending on weather/activities etc. So around £2000 all in (we are a family of 5!)

This year I have been looking at centre Parcs (if anyone can recommend the best one down south - all three are about 2 hours from us in Surrey so any recommendations welcome) our children are 4,6 and 8.

We are also considering a week abroad now the children are that bit older, and basically looking at different options, comparing prices etc so just wondering what your holiday plans are and how much they have cost.

I would love to go to somewhere different, we love animals and sea life, somewhere where the kids could snorkel would be fantastic or see animals in their natural habitat. Obviously the kids are still younger and don't just want to lounge by a pool all day but at the same time don't really want to be traipsing round too much in the heat so they are bored and whiny! So a mix of the two would be fab!

Sorry for the lengthy post just looking for some inspiration!

On my list of places to go is Canada, Thailand and Hawaii however at the moment we aren't looking to spend this much or perhaps go so long haul as both boys have recently been diagnosed as diabetic and so we are a little nervous of going too far out to start with logistics etc.

UAEMum Sat 17-Feb-18 16:16:18

We are a family of 7 and live near dubai
We went to singapore and thailand. Flights were around 300 each. Then we spent about 1600 on hotels. Singapore was very expensive and we did all the expensive stuff so probably spent 1000 in 4 days. Then maybe 300 in 8 days in cheap and cheerful Thailand.

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 16:21:43

We are going to orlanda next year. Family of 4. One of my children will be 16 so is classed as an adult. For 14 nights accommodation & flights with virgin direct we are paying £3300

user1495443009 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:36:03

We have done Menorca a couple of times for a family of 4 end of August for around £2,800 for 12 nights. Did a week self catering and 5 nights in a resort in a different part of the island. Rented a car and went to discover different beaches every day. We booked everything directly ad it is cheaper.

Aldo did Greece, 2 different islands for 13 nights, self catering for around 4,000 including car rental. Again, we booked everything directly. We ate out a few times and cooked some others. The islands were Kefalonia and Zakyntos.

We prefer self catering as we have more space and are free to do and eat whatever we want and don't have to eat with another 1,000 people in a big resort.

Awks Sat 17-Feb-18 16:52:25

What about Centre Parcs in Holland, they are generally cheaper than UK and Skyscanner says you can fly to Eindhoven which is 16 km away for £47 each. Might be more fun than UK and nice weather as www.centerparcs.com/gb-en/netherlands/fp_KV_holiday-park-de-kempervennen is in south holland.

somewhereovertherain Sun 18-Feb-18 07:34:47

Just done 12 days in Barbados for 2.4k plus spends family of 4

Next holiday Antigua will be a similar price.

And working on Honduras for next year aiming for under 4K.

somewhereovertherain Sun 18-Feb-18 07:36:31

Did Sweden a couple of years ago in August for 1200 self catering.

Love CP in Belgium and the Netherlands done a few over the years. Good value. Usually cheaper for a week including ferries than uk CP.

crazymumofthree Sun 18-Feb-18 08:12:32

Thanks for the replies! I have also heard good things about centre Parcs in Holland, the only thing that worries us is the drive. We have family in Scotland so the kids are used to long journeys (takes 8 hours) is their any park in particular you would recommend?

I would love to take the children to Greece, growing up my mum worked for a Greek travel agent so all of our holidays were taken there. I have found it to be quite expensive though! But it is defiantly on our list!

Barbados for £2500!! How do you do that?! Any tips welcome!

We would live to go to Florida actually we have priced it up before, we could get a villa and flights for about £2500-3000 however the park tickets are then that again on top and spending money too! I have never been but my DH used to go every year as family had property out there in the past. I think once the kids are a few years older we will try and save up, eldest isn't keen on rides and the little one probably would get on much at the moment. We have considered DLP and found some good 4 night deals including tickets (but not travel) in a Disney hotel for about £800ish.

user1495443009 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:24:31

We done DLP. Took the car in the P&O Ferry. Rented an apartment in Val de Europe. 5 nights including Disney tickets for about £1,500 for 4. That includes everything. Visited Paris in the same trip,

Playdoughcaterpillar Sun 18-Feb-18 08:29:08

Another vote for European centre Parcs. Belgium one is about 4hrs from Calais so your kids would be fine. You can alternatively get an overnight ferry to hook of Holland which might be an adventure and drive then less than 2h other side.

Pradababe Sun 18-Feb-18 08:33:44

Greece

2 adults and 2 adult children @ 3.2K in June for 1 week full board

happy days now that we are free of the school holiday limitations

C0untDucku1a Sun 18-Feb-18 12:10:41

Been on europe centreparcssite all morning after this thread!

eyeoresancerre Sun 18-Feb-18 12:15:39

Definitely the Centre Parks in Europe. Cheaper and better than the Uk.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 18-Feb-18 12:18:44

I don’t know how others manage to do Florida so cheaply... we’ve been a few times and it’s always been 10k.

This year.. 2 adults, 2 children.

Alton towers weekend - £300
A week in a villa in Greece - £3000
Camping - hopefully dirt cheap!
4 days in Amsterdam - £1500
Florida 2 weeks - 10k

namechangedtoday15 Sun 18-Feb-18 12:22:35

Also interested how people get to Barbados etc for 2.5k - any tips?

Did skiing at Christmas - about £3k including everything (we're a family of 5).

Going to Crete in August for 10 nights - flights £800, accommodation £1200 (hotel but b&b) car £300 and probably £1k spending money.

rookiemere Sun 18-Feb-18 12:23:11

So if you do decide one day to go to Canada I'd totally recommend it - we did West coast and spent some time at Tofino on Vancouver Island and Whistler as well as the rockies and it was DS's best ever holiday. not cheap though. For the 3 of us including accommodation and car hire it was around £8k for 3 weeks ( mind you we had nice accommodation).

What we're doing this year is:
- Skiing at Easter - got flights early and cheap - but nice apartment - around £3k all in including lessons and lift passes
- A week in Cornwall with family - is costing about £1.2k as we're flying down ( live in Scotland) and renting a car. House looks amazing though and has outdoor heated pool and hot tub
- A week in Morzine half board in a hotel - £2k including transfers from the airport, only activities on top. This one looks fab if your DCs are active as loads of mountain biking, white water rafting etc. etc. with Simply Morzine. Plus I don't have to cook ! YAY.

crazymumofthree Sun 18-Feb-18 14:40:55

Thanks everyone for the replies again! Really interesting reading them all, I would actually love to take the kids skiing however me and DH have never been before so aren't confident so think I would have to book us all into a ski school! blush I thought it would work out a lot more than mentioned once you've added in hire and schooling etc!

DD who is 4 has been going on about wanting to go skiing since watching the Winter Olympics and we have a dry slope near us so was thinking about doing some lessons for the kids!

Canada is defiantly on our list! My dad went last year and said it was amazing - one of my favourite books is based there and has spurred on my desire to visit! It's going to require a lot of research into places we will visit and I think because it will be a bit of a road trip/ lots of travelling either by car or trains etc we want to wait until the kids are a little older to appreciate it all! (And to save up!!) how much do you think a trip to Canada would cost? I guess it depends how far you want to travel etc?

crazymumofthree Sun 18-Feb-18 14:43:01

Sorry just seen you have written in the price!! Tbh that's roughly what I was expecting! Probably about £10k for 5 if us was my target! I would rather go with more money than to worry the whole time!

rookiemere Sun 18-Feb-18 15:33:17

Crazymumofthree - also for Canada - as for any other country apart from the UK - how much you'll spend depends on the current exchange rate. We were incredibly lucky when we went and it was about $2 to £1 , at the minute it's about $1.7 which isn't too bad I suppose.

Skiing is never a cheap holiday, and if you've not been before it's tempting to go with a company to make it easier. Definitely see how they get on with ski lessons on the dry slopes first.

AnneElliott Sun 18-Feb-18 15:36:44

We're doing a P&O cruise to Croatia and Italy. 17 days and it's costing £10k.

Have done Florida 2 years ago for about £7k plus spends. That was good but not sure we'd do it again.

Have done Hawaii but that was before DS. Not sure I'd go back there either. Nice enough but not as amazing g as I was expecting.

FruitCider Sun 18-Feb-18 15:42:23

Lanzarote 3* all inclusive easter holidays with Thomas cook, £1700.

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 18-Feb-18 15:48:57

We have a villa in menorca this year (and last year) - roughly £3.5k dc for 4 of us for 11 nights but we all count as adults (DSs 17 and 16) and it's a 3 bed with a private pool.

We've done all sorts when the boys were younger.

Camping south of France (fly to Nice), camp in Holland (Duinrell) with massive pool and theme park, we took ferry from Hull (we are in Scotland). All inclusive in Turkey (Belek/Lara Beach), Villa in Turkey (Dalyan). Centre Parcs (Winfell/Sherwood) and Forest Holidays (sherwood/scotland), Camping/lodges various places in Lake District and Northumberland. We've also been to New England (Rhode Island etc inc a few days in Boston) when the boys were still pre school.

Trailedanderror Sun 18-Feb-18 15:59:35

@somewhereovertherain can you tell me more about sc in Sweden? Where did you go, how did you find the accommodation etc.

somewhereovertherain Sun 18-Feb-18 16:37:09

We flew to Copenhagen with Ryanair. Stayed in a cottage with a pool booked via Novasol. Hired a car in Denmark. Went the last two weeks of August as the price drops cause the Swedish schools are back. We had a really sunny couple of weeks which was a bonus.

somewhereovertherain Sun 18-Feb-18 16:39:21

Barbados flights for 4 with Thomas cook 1600. Villa for 11 nights 800 quid via Airbnb.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: