Talk

Advanced search

Best age for Disney World Florida?

(16 Posts)
lulu12345 Fri 16-Feb-18 14:51:51

Just that really.. we’ve got 2 children, only 2.5 and newborn at the moment but I’m already looking forward to taking them to Disney World as soon as sensible!

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Fri 16-Feb-18 18:41:45

We went to Disney Paris when they were 3 and 5 which was magical for them. I couldn't face taking a child under 8/9 long haul, flying economy! We took them to Florida when they were 10 and 12, which meant they could go on most of the rides and were old enough to remember the holiday for the rest of their lives, but weren't grumpy teenagers!

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 16:23:33

We took our youngest for the 1st time when he was 4 and he still remembers that holiday.

Linnet Sat 17-Feb-18 16:28:40

We took ours when they were 8yrs and 16months. Obviously the one who was 16months doesn’t remember the holiday but the 8 year old had a great time and was able to go on all the rides bar 1. We’re going again this year, they’ll be 14 and 21, so the little one will remember it this time.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 17-Feb-18 16:30:14

7-8 I reckon. Oddly there's not much in terms of play areas for under-3s (universal was better than Disney on that score), at 7-8 they can probably go on the majority of rides, can carry their own lunches in their backpacks and stay up late enough to see the parades in the evening.

rookiemere Sat 17-Feb-18 19:05:40

We went when DS had just turned 7 and it was a great age. He was old enough to cope with all the walking, but young enough to still get the magic at Disney.

Oddly Universal also worked really well as no one really goes to Universal for the younger age group, so apart from a queue for the Harry potter stuff we waltzed on to everything with no waiting.

The only trip that didn't work was Kennedy Space Centre as DH wanted to spend a long time going round everything and booked us onto the extra trip to the mission control bit ( which looked just like my Dad's office in the 70s, except they did cool things there). DS was just far too young to get it and a lot of the exhibits weren't particularly child friendly. I think he'd love it now age 11-12.

DS loved the plane trip as on shorter journeys as we always go with low cost airlines so there's no entertainment. He was delighted with his console on the chair and I spent many a happy hour playing tic tac toe with him on it.

lulu12345 Sun 18-Feb-18 13:09:14

Thanks everyone, this has been v helpful. Looks like we should wait quite a while to make the most of it but I like the idea of Eurodisney in the meantime.

TeaforTiger Sun 18-Feb-18 13:14:06

We are planning a trip for next year and our DC will be 4 and 6. I've never been to Disney and have always wanted to go.

I think it depends on whether you will only go once, we'll almost definitely take them again so I'm not too worried about them not remembering/ not being able to do everything the first time.

Quartz2208 Sun 18-Feb-18 13:17:21

We took my oldest just before 3 (was 8 weeks pregnant) and go yearly since the youngest was 3 (3 for me was the youngest I wanted to take them).

If you are planning on once in a lifetime 4 and 6, more than once 3 and 5 is fine

CurlsLDN Sun 18-Feb-18 13:17:29

Took ds to Disney Florida aged 3. He loved it, still talks about it almost daily a year on, and there was absolutely plenty of rides and activities for him.

However, he struggled with the heat and the queues. And when he found something he liked (eg a fountain jumping out of the ground) he just wanted to stay there all day, which was sweet, but frustrating when he can’t understand that there’s something even better around the corner- it felt like I was dragging him on all the time, but it was needed in order to show him all the great stuff. An older child with a bit more comprehension of what they can’t yet see would be better!

Chrisinthemorning Sun 18-Feb-18 13:22:23

We went when DS was 3yr11 and he loved it and coped very well. We stayed off site and did half days in the parks.
He remembers it very well and is very excited that we re going again in May age 5yr11 grin

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 18-Feb-18 14:52:18

For younger ones, universal parks have Dr Seuss world plus another few similar places. We stayed for hours in that area with our 2 year old

Happies Sun 18-Feb-18 15:17:17

We go this spring..... our DD will be just under 2.5 .... we cannot wait!

swimster01 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:10:01

Apart from a young baby, there is no best age as children will get something different out of it depending on age group - younger ones interested in characters and rides, older ones the rides, and the shows for all ages. (We've been several times over the last 7 years)

crackerjacket Wed 21-Feb-18 18:14:45

8 years old.

MakeLemonade Wed 21-Feb-18 18:21:18

8/9 the best age here too, young enough to appreciate the magic and indulge their inner little kid but old enough for the rollercoasters too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: