Talk

Advanced search

Must visit places in Amsterdam and Copenhagen

(7 Posts)
catlover1987 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:07:15

I am visiting Amsterdam and Copenhagen in April - 3 days in each. Can anyone who's been to either, or both, recommend the 'must see' tourist attractions? We are not hugely interested in art so probably not galleries but open to anything else. Thank you in advance!

gabsdot Wed 14-Feb-18 10:26:54

I have only been to Copenhagen. I'd recommend taking a canal boat tour. You'll see all the lovely sights, the royal palace and the little mermaid from the water. Also Tovoli gardens is a must. Go there in the evening. It's so pretty.

BubblesBuddy Wed 14-Feb-18 10:31:20

You are missing a real treat if you do not like Art and Museums. No-one should miss the Van Gogh Gallery in Amsterdam! It is fantastic. Not huge but very worthwhile. Also Rembrandt's House. Also the Rijksmuseum! Also the Amerstdam Historical Museum.

Obviously there are wonderful canals, coffee shops, Jordaan, Anne Frank House, Oude Kerk, Dam Square, but if you do not do a couple of art galleries/museums you are missing part of the treasures of Amsterdam.

Copenhagen has a wonderful Royal Palace in the Christiansborg Slot area, De Kongelige Repraesentationslokaler, the Tivoli Gardens, Rosenborg Slot castle, Nyhavn district, Nationalmuseet (a museum) , Davids Samling Museum are top choices.

profpoopsnagle Wed 14-Feb-18 17:11:34

Do you like design? The Danish design museum is pretty cool and you get to try out a lot of chairs!

Also agree with a canal tour and a late afternoon/evening visit to Tivoli.

I would also consider a day away from Copenhagen, either going to Roskilde to see viking boats or Helsingor to see Hamlet's castle. Both easy to get to via the train.

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Wed 14-Feb-18 17:18:01

New Sandemans do free walking tours in Amsterdam, we do one in every city break we go on and this one was good and gave us a good insight into the history of the place.

Room101isWhereIUsedtoLive Wed 14-Feb-18 17:19:55

Having just been to Copenhagen, I would say the palace was built by the kind of royal family who wanted the proletariat to know that they were the kind of royalty that liked chopping off heads.
Christiana was an interesting district to visit but if you are not the kind of person who enjoys mooching around somewhere like Camden, then I wouldn't say it was for you.

tracelab Wed 14-Feb-18 18:44:46

I'm an Amsterdam blogger. Loads of suggestions on my blog that you might find useful. Do reach out if you have any specific questions

Www.amsterdamwonderland.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now