Talk

Advanced search

You have two weeks in mid July. Where do you go?

(9 Posts)
addler Sun 11-Feb-18 18:39:10

I'm mid twenties, me and a friend going. I'm based in the Middle East but may be in London at the time I would depart. My friend who I'll be travelling with lives in New Zealand.

We've previously done Belgium, Italy, Croatia, Paris and Scotland together.

My friend isn't in to art. We both like history, old architecture, culture, and nature (although not keen on a trek). Not really after two weeks on a beach either.

Bearing in mind the small timeframe, where would you go if you were me?

Poshindevon Sun 11-Feb-18 20:01:29

Istanbul is a fabulous city , History and architecture galore. The Grand Bazaar is one of the oldest markets in the world. Boat trips on the Bosphorous. Ottoman Palaces. You can take trips to the site of Troy and Gallipoli or vist the Princes Islands where transport is a horse and carriage no cars allowed.

The Czech Republic may tick the boxes. Culture, history and architecture abound. Trips down the Vltava river. Natural spas in Karlovy Vary.

Almostthere15 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:12:37

How about Singapore? You can do a mixture of all your interests? Though it's a long flight if you're in the UK.

Tenerife could be good as a cheaper option (though flights from NZ would be spendy). There's plenty of good hiking/nature. Although some bits are a bit "Brits abroad" there is plenty of gorgeous and chilled resorts with history aplenty and good food and drinks.

KingIrving Sun 11-Feb-18 21:17:50

Greece and especially Crete. Elafonissi beaches are amazing, nearby you have the Samaria Gorge and of course Knossos for history

addler Sun 11-Feb-18 21:25:59

I was thinking of Turkey before actually!

I would love to do Greece, but I was a bit worried it would be too crowded in July? It's the worst time of year to travel I guess but my friend is a teacher so is limited to when she has time off!

turtletum Sun 11-Feb-18 21:57:08

I'd say Greece too. While some of the islands will be crowded, there are plenty of places to go that have a more low key feel.
Crete is lovely, lots of history, nature, food (Chania harbour, samaria gorge, knossos ruins) but chose where you stay carefully.
I'd also recommend the Peloponnese. Nafplio is a lovely town with hilltop fort and pretty harbour, narrow ancient streets. Epidavros amphitheatre worth a day trip. Olympia, home of the olympics. Corinth canal, impressive man made canal with a sad history. Tolon is a beach resort with the usual trappings but isnt too in your face. Kyprissia town is great, very local feel, with long and mostly empty beaches to the north, sea turtles will be nesting in July.

Branleuse Sun 11-Feb-18 22:12:04

Krakow

KingIrving Mon 12-Feb-18 20:45:20

Two weeks in any city, no matter how beautiful is very long.
What about touring Sicily? Beautiful landscape, you can even climb (very easy) the Etna, all the Ancient remains, beautiful Taormina and of course the food is divine.

HundredMilesAnHour Mon 12-Feb-18 22:51:37

What about Bali? Or elsewhere in Indonesia. July is the best time to visit and there's temples, jungle, rice paddies, culture as well as beaches, shopping and restaurants / bars. Less travelling for your friend, plus manageable enough for you from the UK or Middle East.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now