Talk

Advanced search

Talk Disney/Florida to me as an absolutely clueless first timer

(18 Posts)
Forgeteverythingandremember Fri 09-Feb-18 22:41:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Fri 09-Feb-18 22:53:51

There are lots of different parks. Also places like Kennedy space centre.
We are new to this too!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 10-Feb-18 08:37:13

I would actually look at somewhere like Los Angeles if you like studio tours (where they actually make films and tv programmes), science (the California Science Center for instance to name but one) and exhibitions. There are also water parks like Knotts Soak City in Buena Park.

Forgeteverythingandremember Sat 10-Feb-18 23:02:12

weasledee Sat 10-Feb-18 23:17:51

Go to www.thedibb.co.uk
The best Florida Disney website x

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 11-Feb-18 08:32:33

Personally I find it a bit boring - I have family there and access to a villa in Orlando, but really don't see the appeal.

The best bit in Disney were the street parades. It's very expensive and Disney is for younger children despite the obsessed adults Some of the rides are frankly shit.

Epcot is ok. Animal kingdom worth a look, but just a zoo.

The other parks, universal particularly, are very roller coaster heavy, which we loved for a day. Harry Potter is a draw too if you like that it's well done.
The Kennedy space centre is excellent.

The rest of Florida can offer a bit. Everglades for a day trip, Miami for a look, Keys are pretty and a scenic drive.

However, it's a cultural desert. I really don't get it. I see it as a massive marketing scam and would rather spend my money going elsewhere. However that might be because I've been many times and sunshine holidays for the sake of sunshine isn't my idea of fun.

We once caught a cruise converted car ferry to Grand Bahama and drove a buggy round the island for a couple of days. That was good fun!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 11-Feb-18 08:34:58

Actually the water parks are good, but I've never bothered going, my DH enjoyed them.

I just personally think 'holiday of a lifetime' tags are misplaced. For me, it really isn't.

madeyemoodysmum Sun 11-Feb-18 09:02:55

If you want amazing coasters and fun then universal is your Florida park.
It's amazing. Harry Potter world is there amongst loads of other stuff.

The watermarks are so excellent.
Volcano bay is the universal park and should be included in a universal ticket.

Disney is ok if you want to dip in and out just choose one park. For the age of your kids Epcot might suit.

You could get a car and drive to tampa for Busch gardens for the VERY big coaster and then the beach.

Florida isn't all about Disney.

LittleCandle Sun 11-Feb-18 09:03:23

Check out the Facebook group Its Orlando Time, as lots of knowledgeable people on there. We hire a villa and tend to go to a park, or the mall or whatever we're going to be doing in the morning, then go home and jump in the pool! We have park tickets for every park this year, as we got an ace deal on them last year. DD and her cousins tend to do Disney and Universal quite a bit (they are all adults - supposedly grin) and we will do a water park before it gets too busy. It suits us, as our family in the US come to stay with us, and that is the most important part for us. However, it depends what you want to do. There is plenty to see and do that are not the parks.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 11-Feb-18 09:05:03

The OP said they're not into coasters

Quartz2208 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:13:55

Orlando has so much to offer outside of Disney and Universal and I think it would suit you - agree look at thedibb and itsorlandotime on facebook

Forgeteverythingandremember Sun 11-Feb-18 09:18:38

LoniceraJaponica Sun 11-Feb-18 09:28:47

DD (17) and I hate big roller coasters and aren't into Disney characters, but DD loves the Disney parks. We enjoyed our holiday to Florida and stayed near Universal because she is a massive Harry Potter fan.

We also did an airboat ride and visited Kennedy Space Centre. We didn't do any water parks as they aren't our thing.

Eggzandbacon Sun 11-Feb-18 09:34:29

I would look at the ticket bundles. I know people who have bought them before and they just haven't found a deal that suited them that included disney.

I love Disney btw (epcot is not run down) and I think if you can go and see it that it is an experience especially if it was just for one day!

LoniceraJaponica Sun 11-Feb-18 10:21:08

Epcot isn't run down hmm
I liked it a lot. It didn't feel as crowded as the other parks, and the places to eat at were amazing (but not cheap)

weasledee Sun 11-Feb-18 14:59:18

OP I hate rollercoasters yet Florida/Disney is my favourite place by far.
It's an amazing place with so much to do more than rollercoasters x

Stitchosaurus Sun 11-Feb-18 15:13:01

Definitely check out the dibb, it's a great website. I would say that perhaps it's not the place for you if you're not into rides or Disney, just because it is a lot of money! You don't want to pay all that and then be underwhelmed. (I'm desperate to go and the price scares me off!)

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 16:30:10

I love Florida (third trip booked for next year!).

I second the p.o. who suggest the fb Its Orlando Time. Loads of very knowlegable people who are more than happy to assist.

Florida dies have so much more to offer than Disney. Coasters aren't my thing but I do love the theming in all the parks. The detail is amazing!

Kennedy space centre is a fabulous day out. Keep an eye in the website and try rime your visit when there is a launch.

Busch Gardens is Tampa is a good day. Loads of different animals.

Airboat rides in the everglades are a must. Fabulous to see alligators in their natural habitat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: