Talk

Advanced search

Ideas of Cheap + Safe Backpacking destinations?

(9 Posts)
veraaloe Fri 09-Feb-18 22:27:20

DS wants to go travelling somewhere long haul for about 5 weeks or less. He'd be staying in hostels with his best mate.

Do any of your dc's have an experience of somewhere safe and relatively cheap?

He's budgeting around £2000-2500 tops.

This would be in late late August and most of September, so weather hopefully decent !

Any ideas?

BackforGood Fri 09-Feb-18 22:56:07

FRiends have recently ben tavelling in the SOuthern hemisphere - ben to Australia then working their way gradually West.
They really loved Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

specialsubject Sat 10-Feb-18 10:11:47

Safe is largely up to him, keep the bloodstream clear of excessive drugs, don't walk around glued to the brick, be water aware, have right jabs etc.

Five weeks would get a good look at nz but wrong time of year. Get him to check monsoons in south east Asia to pick right areas.

BubblesBuddy Sat 10-Feb-18 13:09:50

I know it’s not longhaul, but years ago 5 weeks would have been perfect for the Greek Islands by using the extensive ferry network. I would also consider Thailand and Vietnam but everyone goes there, don’t they? I guess because it’s set up for backpackers. Also, again years ago, the Greyhound buses connecting USA cities was a favourite. However the cost of living there is now a bit expensive.

specialsubject Sat 10-Feb-18 13:37:17

Good point - on reflection with that budget he's not going longhaul.

veraaloe Sat 10-Feb-18 23:09:22

Haha, yes I have told him to set his sights a little closer to home. He's already going to Spain/Italy/Greece.

Perhaps backpacking Eastern Europe sounds like the best option. Or Canada had super cheap flights, return for about £500. Not sure if it's as "varied" as Europe though, and he's not a great hiker.

Walrust00th Sun 11-Feb-18 12:25:12

Megabus cheapest European travel or book cheap flights, the earlier you book the cheaper. Sleep on bus or train or plane at night, it saves cost of accommodation. You are responsible for your own safety at home or abroad. Must have travel insurance at point of booking travel eg before departure. Travel light, take tent

WonderLime Sun 11-Feb-18 12:31:35

Indonesia is very cheap - hostels/homestays £7 per day & local food £3 for good meal and local restaurant. He could start in Java, travel to Bali then ferry to Lombok. Lots to see/do in Indonesia and flights can be found for £400 return.

Nomad86 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:20:20

Asia for cheap accommodation but flights are expensive. He could go interrailing which is really flexible and he won't need to plan his itinerary in detail.

I travelled in Canada for a summer. I worked for each hostel for a couple of hours a day handing out leaflets and housekeeping, in exchange for the night's stay so it's possible to keep accommodation costs down that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now