Talk

Advanced search

London this weekend

(17 Posts)
beeny Wed 07-Feb-18 17:44:44

Hi,

I am going to London with my 11and 9 year old daughters, this weekend. I am getting very confused about whats the best way to travel on the tube, what type of ticket should I get? We are there till Tuesday . We are staying in Southwark. Are there any deals for the Tower of London ?

Thanks

Fekko Wed 07-Feb-18 17:47:49

Some venues offer a cheap entry if you have travelled there by rail (not tube).

Kids don’t pay for buses but do on the tube and train so you’d need oyster or zip cards for them and an oyster for you .

You can use your debit card on buses and tubes but I don’t think you can pay a child’s fair on the tube with it though.

Fekko Wed 07-Feb-18 17:50:43

www.daysoutguide.co.uk/tower-of-london

You might find something on groupon or wowcher.

YuleABUnREASTIEable Wed 07-Feb-18 17:56:13

I don’t have an Oyster card I tend to get a day travel card for me (unlimited train bus tube) when I go to London. I usually ask the ticket office what the best thing to do ticket wise for dd is and follow their advice. We sometimes go peak time week day as well as week ends etc so advice from them seems to vary and I’m never sure. Travel card fir me (zone 6 in outer London) I think is about £12 ish for a day off peak. Have fun!

BillyAndTheSillies Wed 07-Feb-18 17:58:18

Now that you can use contactless and Apple Pay on tubes and buses, it seems most Oyster cards are only used for weekly or monthly tickets.

Sometimes contactless works out cheaper and kids under 16 travel free iirc?

It's quite a nice walk from Southwark to tower bridge, you can walk all the way up from bankside and across tower bridge to get to the Tower of London.

beeny Wed 07-Feb-18 19:35:23

Thanks everyone !

MrsPatmore Wed 07-Feb-18 19:38:34

You can use any contact less card to travel but the kids will need Oyster cards which you can buy at news agents etc (I think there is a £10 deposit on each card then you top it up at tube station machines). Or it may be easier to buy day or weekly children's travel cards for the Zones you're likely to use. Kids are free on the buses and free under 11 on the tube (da used to just go through the wide barrier with me).l

beeny Wed 07-Feb-18 20:09:20

Sorry still confused. Do I need an Oyster card for the 11 year old ? Shall I get a daily one ? Sorry for being stupid !

JennyWreny Wed 07-Feb-18 20:26:59

This page looks like it might have some useful info beeny tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children?intcmp=25255#on-this-page-1

We used Tesco club card vouchers to get tickets for Tower of London but I'm not sure if that's still possible with the recent changes they have made or if it is whether there would be enough time to order them in time.

CougheeBean Wed 07-Feb-18 20:30:15

You can buy Oyster cards from the machines, you choose how much they’re being pre loaded with but you can obvs top up again too. Take them to a ticket office when you’re leaving and they’ll refund the £5 deposit and I think any remaining credit.

beeny Wed 07-Feb-18 20:46:06

Thanks

Blueraccoon Thu 08-Feb-18 11:15:57

Bizarrely I came on to start a thread exactly the same. I am also travelling to London this weekend with my 9 year old and also staying in Southwark! I had planned to use contactless on the tube but as he can travel free wasn’t sure how he would get through the barrier if it only opens for me. So he has to have an Oyster card? But if he can travel free I don’t need to load it with any credit? Is this possible?

MrKaplansGlasses Thu 08-Feb-18 11:18:03

Blueraccoon - Im going with my DD in a few weeks and advice I saw was instead of going through the turnstile - you go through the gate that opens for people with luggage.

Blueraccoon Thu 08-Feb-18 11:21:00

Mrs Patmore says she took her child through the wide barrier. Is that an option ?

Blueraccoon Thu 08-Feb-18 11:21:46

X post MrK. Thanks.

CapnHaddock Thu 08-Feb-18 11:29:44

It's free for under 11s to go on any public transport in London. Just go through the pushchair gates.

CapnHaddock Thu 08-Feb-18 11:31:13

ETA and you don't need an Oyster card - just pay using any contactless card - fares are capped. Just remember to touch in and out on tubes trains and the DLR

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: