Talk

Advanced search

MN Feasibility study- 2 young guys walking the North Cornwall Coastal Footpath. Advice?

(11 Posts)
Draylon Mon 05-Feb-18 19:21:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 06-Feb-18 07:44:43

www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/ is a useful website and the "walk the path section" has lots of information on it also in terms of what to take and accommodation.

Antiopa12 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:49:12

Check out the YHA youth hostels on the route there are a few right on the coastal path
I met a young couple last year doing the route they had a very lightweight tent and camped out when they could

Antiopa12 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:55:57

June is a good time to go - long daylight hours and less crowded
I would be tempted to just let them get on with it themselves learning to rely on themselves in a new environment whilst on a journey will be an invaluable experience including doing the research. They will have a great time!

ronniebarkersauntie Tue 06-Feb-18 11:11:45

I think it’s a great idea.... what a memorable summer for them. There are a lot of towns and villages on the route but I think you (or better still they!) would need to plan ahead and book accommodation as they won’t be the only people doing it in June. B&Bs in North Cornwall can be expensive - so make use of hostels where possible. Also remember to budget for food and drink which they will need plenty of - it’s quite a strenuous walk.
The path is easy to follow and stunningly beautiful but has a lot of ups and downs.
Keeping properly hydrated (not beer!), and out of the sun as much as possible is a necessity that can’t be hammered home hard enough to a pair of 18 year olds. Dehydration and sunstroke are serious and very real risks in this windy and shadeless environment.

specialsubject Tue 06-Feb-18 19:59:48

Good for him. If he lived in new Zealand this would be a standard activity . the UK saddo drinking culture is not universal.

He needs the right gear ( not jeans) and to get in shape.

Draylon Tue 06-Feb-18 20:09:52

ShackUp Tue 06-Feb-18 20:16:12

This sounds lovely OP. I've been going to Treyarnon Bay (nr Padstow) since I was little: there's a lovely youth hostel on the cliffs with nice food and a bar. Hope your DS enjoys his trek.

thewalrus Sun 11-Feb-18 21:41:37

Sounds great. Get him a copy of the Trailblazers coastpath book, brilliantly written and very helpful maps. The oliver's Cornish coastpath website (http://oliverscornwall.co.uk/oliverscornishcoastpath.htm) is also useful.
Have done most of the Cornish path now over the last few years, but we tend to stay in posh-ish hotel these days, so can't help much on that score. There are some lovely hostels/pubs though. Even in June, I would book ahead in places like Padstow and especially St Ives.

Draylon Mon 12-Feb-18 23:12:03

Nomad86 Thu 15-Feb-18 18:27:22

Bunkhouses and camping barns might be cheaper than bed and breakfast too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: