Talk

Advanced search

When is Halloween break!

(13 Posts)
Slanetylor Sun 04-Feb-18 12:38:14

Sorry! I know if I google harder I'll find the answer.
Do schools in England get a week off at Halloween time and is it the week that Halloween falls? I'm trying to plan a trip to London but don't want to clash with school holidays there.

specialsubject Sun 04-Feb-18 12:47:30

Halloween is irrelevant. There is an end of october half term which varies round the UK, look up school dates.

I'd avoid London at this time as the three month nightmare of christmas will be in full swing.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 04-Feb-18 14:46:06

It depends. Some local authorities will have half term 22 - 26 October, and some will have 29 Oct - 2 November.

This is a really good website, but they haven't released the next academic year's dates yet.

Flomper Sun 04-Feb-18 14:50:21

where we are in surrey near London most schools now get the last 2 weeks of october off, or the middle 2. O thibk youd need to come first week of Nobemebr or first week of October to avoid any scbool holidays. London is massive and can cope woth it though, many families go away as well rather than staying in London. Heathrow and Gatwick are always busy, irrespective.

Flomper Sun 04-Feb-18 14:52:18

official Surrey week is 22-26th oct though somavouds actual halloween the week after.

Slanetylor Sun 04-Feb-18 17:07:01

Ok so it's not so simple! Thanks so much for taking time to reply. I hadn't thought about Christmas shopping starting by then! I might re-think it.

Flomper Sun 04-Feb-18 20:48:10

What are you worried about particularly? Aside from flight prices I dont think school holidays make much difference to life in and around London (unless you're driving, in which case the M25 seizes up for a day or two). Oh, and dont ever, ever go to the Science Museum, Natural History Museum or Legoland during a school holiday.

I don't think you'd really tell it was October half term in London aside from the above. The summer holidays in August are far, far worse as all the kids are going on days out in London and half the rest of the world are also visiting.

BubblesBuddy Sun 04-Feb-18 20:58:33

London is great in October! Christmas is NOT in full swing then. Do come. There are one or two silly posts here!

It will be quite busy because not everyone leaves the country but with planning, you will be fine. Halloween isn’t a big thing here so don’t expect to see decorations as in the Usa. London is a very big draw for holidays so it’s always busy these days, every day of the week, even in January! In October, do expect to enjoy Autumn leaves, walks by the Thames, fantastic museums and buildings, supberb restaurants, and great experiences. Book it now!!!

Quickerthanavicar Sun 04-Feb-18 21:00:32

Last full week of October generally. We call it half-term or a week off for my birthday.

LizardMonitor Sun 04-Feb-18 21:06:38

Most of the London state schools will have Oct 22nd-26th off.

October is a great time to visit London!

Slanetylor Sun 04-Feb-18 21:56:38

Thanks a million! I will be travelling with children so the Science Museum and the Natural history museum are top of my list and hopefully Legoland too grin. But our trip won't clash with school holidays so. I was afraid it might and I didn't want to be wading through crowds. Thanks all! I think I will start planning a trip for that time after all.

BubblesBuddy Mon 05-Feb-18 20:13:57

Unless you have quite a few days, Legoland isn’t that wonderful (it’s a theme park like many others) and it’s near Windsor. Windsor Castle is impressive though. London has so many great things to do and see that are unique, so I think you will find plenty to fill your time.

Slanetylor Sat 10-Feb-18 19:42:15

Thanks so much! We don't really have access to theme parks so my children think they are heaven on earth unfortunately hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now