Talk

Advanced search

Am I asking the impossible?

(16 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Sun 04-Feb-18 11:04:51

We are a family of 4. 2 adults (who like authentic, simple, peaceful holidays) and 2 young teenagers (who now want company and activities). Is there any way of solving this problem? How can we plan a summer holiday that provides sufficient fun for the kids without staying in a 'resort'. If we go for our usual type of charming, quiet farmhouse then the kids will moan there is nothing for them to do. We just want to read and swim in the sea (ideally on a tiny beach with hardly anyone else about). We can't be the only people to have this dilemma and hoping there is a solution out there somewhere. Grateful for any ideas.

OP’s posts: |
ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 04-Feb-18 11:07:15

Cornwall - holiday cottage for you, enrol kids on a learn to surf course to provide friends and activities for them.

celtiethree Sun 04-Feb-18 11:10:41

Have you looked at companies like responsible travel who have great ideas for holidays with teens. Or try Pelegoni Beach club. A lot will depend on your budget. I have teens this year we’re trying a skippered yacht! The teens are v much looking forward to it.

Sleepyoto Sun 04-Feb-18 14:51:20

You are certainly not alone! Check out the recent teens thread. We are doing Neilsons for a second year, but am always on the lookout for other suggestions...

NotdeadyetBOING Sun 04-Feb-18 15:27:59

Many thanks all. Will check out teen thread and Responsible Travel. Looked at Peligoni, but can't face it somehow. Just too Notting Hill on Sea if that makes sense. Plus thought of 'Dads' Open Mic Night' etc. chills my blood. Each to their own, but I want a simpler, more authentic type of holiday. Cornwall idea is good - but I want heat. Love swimming in the sea but in Med (lightweight). Someone mentioned Exodus Travel too so will take a look at that.

Brighteyes27 Sun 04-Feb-18 17:05:23

It’s all about compromise we stayed at a hotel with some activities for the DC ours are very young teens so it worked. The DC took part in some of the activities and made some friends around the pool we had some mornings on the beach with them which was fairly quiet (although probably not as deserted as you would like) and we got to read whilst they made friends or toon part in an activity. We all had a nice meal out together at night.

BubblesBuddy Sun 04-Feb-18 20:50:12

We started doing Family Worldwide type holidays when ours got to this age. Plenty to do and a bit more grown up. We went to
Peru, Kenya, Ecuador and The Galápagos Islands, Alaska, Canada, South Africa and there are many more options. You meet other families, see more than a pool and a beach and we found our children had a great time and fantastic memories. No Dad’s open mic!!!

NotdeadyetBOING Mon 05-Feb-18 06:12:09

I think that may be the answer, Bubbles. Fear it may stretch our budget somewhat, but I think that is probably the way to go. I am keen to have new experiences and adventures so would suit me down to the ground. Latest thought is maybe a road trip around the West coast of the US. Yosemite, surfing somewhere, visit to Universal Studios, Big Sur, stay in log cabin somewhere. Blah blah. Lots of different things in one holiday.

scottishdiem Mon 05-Feb-18 06:24:24

What is an "authentic type of holiday."?

What makes a quiet farmhouse or a deserted beach authentic?

mcdog Mon 05-Feb-18 08:16:14

Loving the look of those families worldwide holidays smile

NotdeadyetBOING Mon 05-Feb-18 14:44:47

In response to the Q from Scottish: When staying at a quiet farmhouse or similar, IME you tend to potter about local markets to get food, cook at home or go to local restaurants. Generally come into contact with locals. In the all-inclusive resorts, one tends to be surrounded by other Brits and, in a way, could be anywhere. Not criticising those resorts - it's horses for courses. We went when DCs were v. small and we were knackered and desperate for kids' clubs etc. Just that now, we have the freedom to do it differently.

LeMesmer Mon 05-Feb-18 22:14:06

It may be a bit tame for you, given that you are thinking of a US road trip, but have you thought of looking for the type of place you really like then searching for week long activities/courses you can sign the DCs up for nearby (you probably have). For example, last year DS (12) did a 5 day catamaran sailing course, I sat on the beach, had a swim and relaxed! However it was July in the south of France, so not really quiet. You could have 2 or 3 weeks with the teenagers doing a different thing each week, and as the activities are not linked to where you are staying you could find the type of accommodation you prefer.

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 06-Feb-18 11:51:35

Actually LeMesmer that is exactly what we'd like. I have thought about it, but it requires local knowledge (of the sailing school or whatever) .Unless one has a personal recommendation it is tricky to find those places - especially in relatively tranquil areas. I am sure they exist, but hard to find just by Googling. I think serious gap in the holiday market the more I think about it....

LeMesmer Tue 06-Feb-18 12:19:49

I can PM you the one I know of, near where I live where (nearest big city Nice about 40 minutes) , it is not the quietest of places in the summer though, although not too bad inland a bit. On the upside plenty of stuff to do. Maybe somewhere like that but with a house with private pool may work?

NotdeadyetBOING Tue 06-Feb-18 12:41:29

Ooo - yes please, LeMesmer. I think you are right - house with pool would provide peace and quiet and we could ferry to kids to sailing each day. Very kind - thank you.

LeMesmer Tue 06-Feb-18 20:47:59

I have sent you a PM notdead. I just read it back and it is full of typos blush, sorry, being on my phone is the excuse! It is still understandable though, I hope smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in