Talk

Advanced search

Anyone not going abroad this year due to the fall in sterling?!

(42 Posts)
Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 12:03:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
specialsubject Fri 02-Feb-18 13:07:57

1.14 today, best for ages. Presumably you weren't holidaying a few years back when it was almost one to one.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 02-Feb-18 13:27:34

It's hovered around 1.1 to 1.2 Euros to the pound since the Brexit vote, so this year effectively the same as summer 2016 and 2017. I also remember the worst of around 1.05 and the heady days of close to 1.5 euros to the pound.

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 13:57:05

BubblesBuddy Fri 02-Feb-18 15:10:47

It depends when they set the price doesn’t it? The $ has markedly improved of late.

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 15:13:41

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 02-Feb-18 15:15:09

Is there any way you can reduce the cost, so you can still get away without spending a lot more? Apartment instead of villa for example? Slightly cheaper location? Portugal instead of Spain?

Anything on jet2holidays villas section? They do villa, car and flight packages and are generally very good value.

GreenSeededGrape Fri 02-Feb-18 15:22:00

You could go if you changed it a bit as pp said, apartment instead of villa.

I'm not saying you have to! Just you could find a way. I will never give up my sun holidays while I'm stuck living in the UK.

I'd sell dh kidney first. Joking sort of

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 15:29:52

notacooldad Fri 02-Feb-18 15:40:56

There's more to Europe than Spain, France and Portugal for your summer family holidays where you can get good value for money nice beaches and sun you know!

InProgress Fri 02-Feb-18 15:57:12

I booked the October half term (AI in Menorca) as it was considerably cheaper than in the Summer holidays. It's still a stretch financially for me but I do wonder whether the price of holidays will continue to rise in the foreseeable future.

So October it is in case this is the last time I'm able to go abroad for quite a while.

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 18:39:25

notacooldad Fri 02-Feb-18 19:34:37

otacooldad - you'd need to specify your criteria! And budget.

There are fantastic beaches in Latvia, Poland and Estonia as well as Bulgaria.
I've taken the kids to these places for family holidays when they were younger and still regularly go to these countries regularly. Skyscanner and booking.com are your friends here.
Loads of stuff for kids to do and nice, relaxed places to go to.

Draylon Fri 02-Feb-18 22:53:41

notacooldad Fri 02-Feb-18 23:52:35

Drayon
My 'kids are 21 and 18 and still come away with us. Sometimes both come and more recently their girlfriends come to.
We like the same things as you.
I think you have a bit of closed mind! I love Spain Portugal, France and so on and still go there very regularly, at least two or three times a year, but they are not the only places that have villas have pools, nice beaches and it's warm enough to go in the sea! I should know, I've rented enough of them over the years.

Anyway it's only a suggestion to keep your costs down. The big advantage of people not considering these places means it's quieter and more spaces on the beach for those that have made the discovery and willing to give it ago.

The other advantage is that there are loads of things to do for all ages in these places.

notacooldad Fri 02-Feb-18 23:54:20

Oh, of course Estonia is going to be cold in April!
Cold winters, hot summers.!
To be fair it's about 5 years since we were in Estonia but the kids were moaning it was too hot ( August)

IvorHughJarrs Fri 02-Feb-18 23:58:42

It's the flights that are going up dramatically rather than the accommodation when I looked

notacooldad Sat 03-Feb-18 00:13:10

I agree about the flights being a bit more expensive however if you are flexible there is still good deals to be had. I've just paid £45 return from Manchester to Malaga in April. And £35 return to Portugal in March.
I will look at flights for my summer holidays probably next month.

IvorHughJarrs Sat 03-Feb-18 01:11:37

I have just looked at prices from the northern airports to Portugal in June/July. They are already well above last year and going up daily

notacooldad Sat 03-Feb-18 08:35:02

How much were they last year?
I've just had a look and from Manchester and you can get a flight from Manchester for less than £70.
I can't get to London by train for that.
I'm going to Portugal next week with DP and have paid £37 return. I booked that flight a month ago.

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 03-Feb-18 08:58:40

'Portugal in June/July' doesn't mean very much. That could be a TAP or Jet2 flight in the school holidays to the Algarve, which I would expect to be expensive now, or it could be a June flight from Manchester to Lisbon on Ryanair, which I can see many examples of from about £60 return, which is an excellent price, even if it isn't the cheapest of cheap.

I consider £100-150 pp return to Europe without luggage, outside the school holidays to be the 'standard' price. Less than £100 is cheap and when it starts to get above £150, I think it's looking a bit expensive and reconsider dates/destination etc.

Sevendown Sat 03-Feb-18 09:03:44

I’m also looking for a holiday and am shocked at the prices!

I don’t care where we go, just want sun and fun for the dcs. Late June. Can’t seem to do AI for under £3500 or sc for under £2500.

falang Sat 03-Feb-18 09:06:36

Why don't you go somewhere cheaper. Stay in a hotel. Nothing would stop me going abroad for a holiday. I'd just cut my cloth if I couldn't afford it.

GreenSeededGrape Sat 03-Feb-18 09:14:26

Draylon I'm an Aussie too and it's the unspoken rule in this house that a sun holiday every year is a necessity, not a 'nice to do' smile

somewhereovertherain Sat 03-Feb-18 09:18:21

Plenty of options just need to think outside the norm of brits abroad.

We’ve had great Holidays’s in the summer in Sweden, Spain, France, Germany, Belgium and others never paid more than about 300 quid each. Often had villas with pools.

Outside of school holidays it’s even easier.

All depends what you want and where you want to go.

Euro is shit and not going to improve.

We will still have a holiday overseas just done 12 days in the Caribbean for £600 each.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in