Talk

Advanced search

Hotels or car parking around Twickenham

(20 Posts)
Damonlufc88 Fri 02-Feb-18 10:54:52

Going to a show in July at Twickenham stadium but hotels are unrealistic at the prices I'm seeing. I don't really want to drive but I don't want to be stuck In Twickenham after the show (probably finish around 11pm) and miss a train into London for a hotel. Just wondering if or how people have parked near the stadium before and found accommodation. I'm tempted to maybe drive and park at stadium and also drive back out of London towards home and stay somewhere on the way back, don't fancy 160miles after a concert really.

OP’s posts: |
officerhinrika Fri 02-Feb-18 11:25:19

There’s a local primary school a short walk from the stadium and their PTA often open the playground for parking. I’m struggling to remember the name but google will help. If it is open the charge is very reasonable and benefits the school.

CanYouHearThePeopleSing Fri 02-Feb-18 11:45:39

We have stayed in Kew a couple of times (when going to Twickenham) - at the Kew Gardens Hotel - a really nice pub with rooms. We tend to have a big/late lunch there before going to the stadium. It's easy to get from Twickenham to Kew and a nice place to stay (esp if you combine with a visit to Kew Gardens the next day. There are also Travelodge/Premier Inns in Kew too.

woodchuckchuck Fri 02-Feb-18 11:48:52

The Travel Lodge Teddington www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/542/London-Teddington-hotel?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GHA_Organic&utm_campaign=GHA_London%20Teddington&WT.tsrc=GHA_Organic. Rooms from £40 and train or bus directly from Twickenham.
Did you get tickets for Eminem?

BeautifulLiar Fri 02-Feb-18 12:43:46

We are going too! Four hours away but he'll be worth it

Damonlufc88 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:05:29

Yes its for Eminem smile Really looking forward to it. Me and my wife both 30 this year, its going to cost the equivalent to a deposit on a holiday but using 30th as am excuse. Thanks guys. My main concern is getting back to the hotel after the show, don't want to miss any busses or trains hmm

BeautifulLiar Fri 02-Feb-18 14:12:25

I'm going for my 29th birthday! I've been in love with Eminem since I was about 12 smile saw him in Leeds last year and that was amazing. Great atmosphere etc.

We have booked the Lensbury Resort hotel and will book a taxi in advance to get there. But as for getting back to the hotel... I really don't know. We waited for FOUR hours, packed like sardines, after Leeds festival...

woodchuckchuck Fri 02-Feb-18 15:18:41

OP - the bus runs all night, it costs less than £2 (but you need to use a contactless debit or credit card). You can even walk - probably take 30 mins. Here's the timetable for the 281 bus.http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/281.htm

woodchuckchuck Fri 02-Feb-18 15:20:04

You take the same bus too beautifuliar

Crumbs1 Fri 02-Feb-18 15:20:32

We used a website called Park on my drive and got a space reserved very close to the stadium entrance for £10. It was just around the corner from Tesco.

Ktay Fri 02-Feb-18 15:23:55

The school mentioned above is Chase Bridge, don’t know if they do it for concerts or just matches.

There are a few B&Bs you could try eg the Old Stables in St Margarets or Abigail’s (no website, a bit basic I understand) on Haggard Rd.

What are prices like in Richmond that night? The walk back would be nice if it’s a balmy night. There’s a premier inn and travelodge there.

BeautifulLiar Fri 02-Feb-18 17:01:18

woodchuckchuck thank you so much! Just looked and it's only a five minute walk from the stadium to the bus stop, then a 5 minute walk once we're off the bus to the hotel. Perfect!

gegs73 Fri 02-Feb-18 17:04:55

I would second looking at the website park at my drive which you can book online, finding someone close by and then walking to the stadium. If you are at one of the car parks you will be stuck in a huge queue to get out onto the road. At someone's house you can use the back roads out. I would also suggest parking the Twickenham side of the A316 rather than the Stadium side. Again less traffic.

user1486076969 Fri 02-Feb-18 17:12:56

Depends which direction you live. How about staying in Windsor? Leave the car there and get the train (25mins) to Whitton, the next stop to Twickenham and same distance to walk to stadium. It's a quieter station, trains every 30 mins, last train 23:55. Make sure you search for Windsor & Eton Riverside (there are 2 stations in Windsor on different lines).

headhurtstoomuch Fri 02-Feb-18 17:25:41

You’ll be stuck in hours worth of traffic if you park anywhere near the stadium on the night. Though Tesco next door let people park for a price on match days ..might be same for the concert. Don’t recall what they did when U2 played here.

Suggest a guest house close by or finding a room in a house..may air b&b? Alternatively and I hate admitting this as I live close by there are some roads need the Royal Oak pub you can park on for free and walk down.

Eve Fri 02-Feb-18 18:30:16

For rugby we have used ‘parkonmydrive’. ( I think that’s what’s it’s called) and been about 15 mins walk away in Kew.

Damonlufc88 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:22:26

Thanks for the suggestions guys booked a hotel in Hounslow. 40 mins walking or hopefully jump in a taxi enroute. Not to worried about getting back now as its only 1.5 miles

Damonlufc88 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:28:36

@BEAUTIFULLIAR it would definitely be easier if it was a northern gig but got tickets so I'm happy. 140 mile drive one way for this but all part of the weekend

Just apprehensive about after but sorted hotel. Thanks again for the recommendations everybody, been a few years now since had an adventure without kids, would have preferred train but it's an extra £160 return and wasn't sure running times after 11pm

sm40 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:33:56

Been to many rugby matches! Park on Ruskin road north of the stadium! Always found a space! 10-15 min walk!
You also avoid all the post match traffic!
Only problem is the footpath is through the sewage works. It's not too bad, but this totally separates it from the ground. Good luck!

Heliophilous Fri 02-Feb-18 22:33:07

There is a very good minicab company near Hounslow East tube, v good, v reliable, sensible prices. If you want to book a taxi at all I would highly recommend (I use them between Richmond and Heathrow a lot). There are also buses from Hounslow to fairly near the stadium.

Here are the taxi people: www.a2b-radiocars.com/

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in