Talk

Advanced search

Luxury resorts in Spain/Portugal with 6 month+ DD

(44 Posts)
KimchiLaLa Wed 31-Jan-18 17:02:07

DH and I would like to take DD on holiday when she is 6 months plus. We don't want a long flight so are looking to go to Spain or Portugal. Has anyone visited any luxury resorts there which are also kid friendly?

This is my first time booking a holiday with a baby and I'm finding it hard - we want a mix of a nice hotel with a beach or pool but also relatively family friendly. Think along the lines of this: https://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-hotels/anantara-vilamoura-resort

IsabelleSE19 Wed 31-Jan-18 17:06:54

During a rare flush period we went to Martinhal in Portugal with our then 2yo DS - it was absolutely brilliant. Several pools, sandpits, playgrounds, and staff at the restaurants whose only function is to entertain your DC while you wait for your food to arrive. Would go back again except we are skint since having second DC!

www.martinhal.com/sagres/en/

KimchiLaLa Wed 31-Jan-18 17:11:52

Will check it out, thanks so much!

HLBug Wed 31-Jan-18 17:14:12

Absolutely agree with Martinhal. We've been to the Sagres one twice.

Brighteyes27 Wed 31-Jan-18 21:24:56

I know this might go against popular opinion but when I was young and single I was once on a 3-4 hour flight with a baby one side of me crying and screaming and a toddler behind me kicking the back of my seat, pulling my hair hair from time to time and screaming and criying for the duration of the flight which completely ruined the flight for myself and probably most of the passengers on the plane.
So I never took my DC on a plane until they were 4/5 and I can’t see why anybody would.
At only 6 months old surely she might be better off with a holiday at Centre Parcs or somewhere in UK as she won’t know where she’s at?

mummymeister Thu 01-Feb-18 11:20:49

the most important thing is to make sure wherever you book that the kids clubs, if you want to use them, will take a child of 6m because many wont they have minimum ages around 2. at this age you should be seeing this as a holiday for you - a bit of time on your own as there is plenty of time to take child friendly holidays where the children all play together etc.

KimchiLaLa Wed 07-Feb-18 18:12:57

*I know this might go against popular opinion but when I was young and single I was once on a 3-4 hour flight with a baby one side of me crying and screaming and a toddler behind me kicking the back of my seat, pulling my hair hair from time to time and screaming and criying for the duration of the flight which completely ruined the flight for myself and probably most of the passengers on the plane.
So I never took my DC on a plane until they were 4/5 and I can’t see why anybody would.
At only 6 months old surely she might be better off with a holiday at Centre Parcs or somewhere in UK as she won’t know where she’s at?*

Well hence wanting a short flight.

Also re the toddler, it's the parents job to stop them pulling your hair.

We don't really do UK holidays. We want somewhere where the sun is guaranteed.

donajimena Wed 07-Feb-18 18:16:36

6mths is a fabulous age to go abroad. It's hard when they are toddlers so make the most of it while they are young ie not crawling
I'm going to the Costa de la luz hotel islantilla this year. It looks rather nice. We fly into Portugal and transfer into Spain

MrsSpenserGregson Wed 07-Feb-18 18:21:34

I agree re Martinhal in Sagres, and they have two more now, in Lisbon and Caiscais which I would love to check out if I ever become flush again!

Frazzled2207 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:40:55

Monte santo in Carvoeiro was lovely. Really posh spacious apartments and houses.

zzzzz Wed 07-Feb-18 18:46:01

I fly all round the world with mine. I find loud drunk passengers much more intrusive than babies, but since it’s PUBLIC transport not a private plane, I expect the public to be there.

Mine fly fairly easily so I’d look further afield than Spain grin

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 07-Feb-18 18:50:10

Abama, Tenerife is great but i’d save it for 2 years+. They love the tiny road train that goes down to the perfect beach. Unlike the Martinhal there are always deckchairs available (and the service is more luxe and attentive).

Brighteyes27 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:16:53

KimchiLaLa - surely at 6 months she wouldn’t be able to do much (unless she is a super baby) other than sit up so it doesn’t really matter whether it’s too kid friendly or not as long as it’s somewhere clean and accomodating for babies as opposed to children (who can run around and often take more entertaining). Unless it’s a typing error and you meant 16 months?
Or maybe you intend dumping your PFB 6 month old in a crèche (which may not accept children below 2)? Although you sound the sort not to care whether your baby screams throughout the entire Short 2-3 hour flight time as long as you get guaranteed sunshine at the end of it.

zzzzz Fri 09-Feb-18 19:31:16

I care if my children cry for two or three hours weather it’s on a plane, train, car or in my sitting room. My children travel on public transport as they are part of the general public. If you don’t like being with a particular part of the population your options are stay at home, or pay for a private plane, NOT to try and bully other users off the transport.angry

Brighteyes27 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:31:14

zzzzz I was actually addressing the OP?!? As well as battering my ears and it not been at all a relaxing flight experience for myself and other passengers (who are all part of the general public). Incidentally when I was young and single i wasn’t drunk or even drinking.
I was also concerned about the baby and the toddler being so clearly and obviously distressed and I was wondering what on Earth their parents were thinking and if the child and babies ears were ok and not hurting (with them being so young and unable to clearly express themselves). It was also quite a late flight (which I personally would try to avoid at all costs even now and my children are early secondary school age). So I thought having such young children on a late flight was fairly inconsiderate of these parents. But as a member of the public that as my opinion which I am perfectly entitled to. As are you within your rights to take a baby or a toddler on a plane without a thought or consideration for other passengers or the welfare of your children as long as you get your fortnight in the sun and can brag about being well travelled zzzzz.

zzzzz Fri 09-Feb-18 21:07:33

Arf at bragging about being well travelled grin.
What a spiteful take on life you have briteeyes27.

Brighteyes27 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:12:55

At least my DC haven’t runined a flight for others.

zzzzz Fri 09-Feb-18 22:19:32

confused
Do you just keep them locked up till they’re adult?
Do they go in buses or trains?

Willswife Fri 09-Feb-18 22:23:25

Another vote for Martinhal!

Brighteyes27 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:32:57

Zzzzzz no they went on planes from age 4 or 5. The go on trains and buses. My children are children and aren’t always perfect they know how to have fun and I have been commended on their behaviour in many places.

ArgosTheDog Fri 09-Feb-18 22:36:24

Went to Martinhal for first time last year and going back again this year!

zzzzz Sat 10-Feb-18 11:05:33

That’s nice *brighteyes27”. The rest of us are equally good at teaching our children how to behave and judging what is appropriate for them.

6 months is a great age to travel with a baby, not walking yet, big enough that finger food or milk are both easy, and likely to enjoy sun/swim etc.

KimchiLaLa Thu 15-Feb-18 09:30:44

BrightEyes bore off. If you have kids, I feel bad for them - clearly they're not going to get to go anywhere and with such a pessimistic mum I'm not sure they would want to.

I've been on lots of trips with and without other people's screaming babies. In economy and business class, where youve paid a lot for a decent seat so would rather not have a screaming baby in the cabin. Sometimes the parents can do more to stop it, sometimes they just can't. Babies are babies. Mine smiles and giggles and we'd love to have a nice holiday with her, with sun and a kid friendly pool in which she can paddle along with her dad as she loves the water.

FWIW she is not a PFB! in fact I've been told I could probably spend more on her (granted by her grandparents.)

I have absolutely no clue why you're on this thread?

zzzzz Thu 15-Feb-18 09:55:49

The idea that children stay at home till out of nursery is ver old fashioned (Victorian?). Certainly I holidayed all over the place as a baby. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t introduce your child to the life you like?

(And no not pfb here either, though they are all obviously fabulous, but there are 5 of them).

Brighteyes27 Thu 15-Feb-18 09:57:31

The point is the holiday is for you not for your DD so please don’t dress it up as such as clearly 6 months is far to young to appreciate it, remember or get much out of it, However, you dress it up.
My DC have had lots of fun we have holidayed in the UK camping, at holiday cottages and Centre parcs etc when they were younger and had lots of fun. When they were 4 /5 which was the age when they would be able to appreciate a holiday abroad and weren’t to young to know how to behave on a flight we toon them to Eurodisneyc and they have had various holidays abroad and in the UK since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now