Talk

Advanced search

Turkey

(9 Posts)
ranoutofquinoa Sun 21-Jan-18 08:32:06

Looking at travelling to Turkey in August any advice. Kids will be 4 and 7!

OP’s posts: |
AnakinCyberwalker Sun 21-Jan-18 08:36:20

Where in Turkey? August is hot, hot, hot!

ranoutofquinoa Sun 21-Jan-18 10:01:38

We thought it may be silly hot. Thinking of the Sensatori Resort in fethiye. Being out of the sun lunchtime and early afternoon, do you think it's doable? Mine would be content, watching iPads, reading, bit of craft for a couple of hours.

OP’s posts: |
MazDazzle Sun 21-Jan-18 10:05:22

We went in August with small children and didn’t find it too hot. There was a constant breeze coming from the sea.

noenergy Tue 23-Jan-18 06:12:07

We went to Antalya last year. Kids loved it. Waterslides in the pool kept them occupied all day then funfair rides after dinner and kids disco and various theme nights including foam party. And weather was lovely not too hot.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Mon 29-Jan-18 20:54:55

With a 4 and 7 year old (mine are 6 and 3) look for a hotel that offers a LOT for children. A lot of Turkish resorts have kids clubs, playgrounds (some even have small fairground type rides) and various swimming pools with waterslides (though most operate twice daily for a couple of hours each time).

We went to Side (pronounced Cedar) in the Antalya region in May 2017. We stayed at a resort outside of the town and found the sister hotel (Otium Eco Club) perfect for young children. Very clean, quiet, smaller compared to others, fantastic covered playground and kids club, small fairground rides and 3 waterslides suitable for kids and adults. Pool depth was 1.5m at its deepest.
We've been to Marmaris too in the past and are booked to stay at the Club Turban at the end of July/beginning of August this year. Fantastic resort for children - various pools, 3 waterslides, kids playground, kids mini softplay, kids club, little fairground rides (payable), sandy/pebbly beach with gentle slopes into the sea AND it is on the road between Marmaris and Iclemer so it won't be rowdy. Perfect for families.

Turkey is a lot cheaper than the usual Spain, Portugal and Greece and you do get a lot for your money. Trips are a lot cheaper - we are doing a pirate boat trip (waterslide on the boat, restaurants, kids games and clubs) for £10 each (AI) and again a horseback riding trip for £8 each (kids are both free as classed as infants under the age of 6).

We found the Turkish people on the whole pleasant, chatty, jolly, polite and very helpful. My 2 year old went AWOL on the beach during a party last year at night and they had the ENTIRE entertainment crew as scouts on the beach leading to the sea so she wasn't gone long. It was one of those moments when she was joining in with the children during a party dance/game and it ended and as kids went in all directions to their parents and then parents walked forward to meet their kids, she simply got lost amongst the bodies! Contrary to what some people say about the Turks, they are very child orientated, family friendly and will do anything for you.

Be warned though about flights and transfers; flights are generally on the whole an evening flight arriving in Turkey anywhere between 9pm and midnight THEN a 2 hour transfer for most places.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Mon 29-Jan-18 20:57:54

May weather (last week/beginning of June) - late 20s/early 30s somedays. Bearable.

Late July/Early August weather - late 30s/early 40s. Had the hottest day of the year so far (that year) at 45 degrees (and I was six weeks pregnant). It was intense at times and simply sitting in the pool or sea cooled me down. My then 2 year old DS didn't complain though!

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 31-Jan-18 13:24:01

Turkey is very hot in August but we very often go that time of year and our children manage fine. Just stay somewhere cool like the pool or beach and you will be fine.

Turkey is such a beautiful country and the Turkish people are so friendly and they love children smile

Hersetta427 Wed 31-Jan-18 16:47:04

The Voyage Belek.

fully branded all inclusive (included branded ice creams and cornettos). It has waterslides, crazy golf, a cinema, bowling and even a funfair (which is included too)!. it has 7 included restaurants (even a waiter service 24 hr one).

We went to the sensatori fethiye in August 2016 and the voyage in 2017 and for the same money the voyage blows the sentatori out of the water - we are going back this year it was so good

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in