Talk

Advanced search

Would you pay for reserving a seat in advance?

(69 Posts)
chefspark Fri 19-Jan-18 16:08:30

Hi There,

I've booked a return flight with Emirates from London to Brisbane. We are a family of 4 and emirates want to charge about £25 per person per leg to reserve a specific seat in advance, so that's £25 x 4 people x 4 legs!

An extra £400 on the total trip is a lot of money. We can reserve seats for free 48 hours before the flight and I was wondering if there were any other families out there who had been faced with this dilemma??

My kids are aged 5 and 7 and we obviously don't want to run the risk of having them sit in seats away from us but I was wondering if most people reserve their seats when checking in online rather than paying for the privileged in advance?

Cheers

OP’s posts: |
AgentProvocateur Fri 19-Jan-18 16:15:12

If you want to guarantee a seat next to your children, you’ll have to pay.

spugzbunny Fri 19-Jan-18 16:16:07

You run the risk that you can't get 4 together. I'd imagine 2 & 2 would be easy to find though

OlennasWimple Fri 19-Jan-18 16:19:46

We don't pay, because most airlines will put you with your children anyway, and we're not overly bothered about them being across the aisle or in the rows in front / behind either in a worst case scenario, but that's a personal judgment call based on your own DC

StoatofDisarray Fri 19-Jan-18 16:25:12

Surely each person only has 2 legs? grin

Christmascardqueen Fri 19-Jan-18 16:31:50

pay or take the risk you don’t sit together.

expatinscotland Fri 19-Jan-18 16:33:40

Pay up or take your chances, just don't expect people to give up seats they paid for because you didn't want to spend the extra money they did. I pay to sit next to my kids. They're 12 and 9, but the 9-year-old has autism and I don't want the 12-year-old sat next to some stranger on an overnight flight, so won't move for others.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:34:03

I always pay for the peace of mind that we’ll be sitting next to each other.

If you don’t pay and get seated apart (next to, by the way, can mean across the aisle or in the rows in front or behind you), you have absolutely no right to ask anyone to move for you.

You took that risk, you accept the consequences.

NannyR Fri 19-Jan-18 16:34:25

I took some flights to Australia last year with Emirates and paid to pre book aisle seats, it turned out on two of the legs I had a row of seats to myself which was a bit annoying! I felt it was worth it though as having an aisle seat is pretty important to me (I'm quite a restless, fidgety flyer!) and it would have spoiled my flight if I'd left it to chance and ended up with a window or middle seat.

SandLand Fri 19-Jan-18 16:34:25

Never seen that option on Emirates. They have always sat me and the kids together at the back so we miss the connection if they are late

Thistlebelle Fri 19-Jan-18 16:36:35

If you don’t pay then don’t complain when your five your old has to sit alone.

It’s annoying but that’s the system. It’s seriously inconsiderate to expect people who have paid it to move to accommodate you.

RandomUsernameHere Fri 19-Jan-18 16:37:52

I've never paid to reserve seats and have been on around 20 flights with my DC and never been separated from them (DH was working abroad for a bit so we were flying most weekends at one point). I always check in online as soon as possible after it opens, so that probably helps.
This approach has saved me probably thousands of pounds, so I would always take the gamble personally and the airline will endeavour to seat you together. It's not in their interests to have children separated from their parents.
I'm no expert though, this is just my personal experience!

SnowGoArea Fri 19-Jan-18 16:39:03

I'd pay if I wanted to be seated as a 4, and probably not I'd be happy with a 2+2 anywhere in the plane.

Personally I'd go for paying for the 4 on a flight of that length.

LadyGlitterSparkl Fri 19-Jan-18 16:42:30

Is this new with Emirates? I flew with them April 2016 and didn't have to pay. But it is the norm now for most airlines. We are flying soon with United one way and edelweiss air on the way bk. reserved for free with United but have to pay with edelweiss. And because we didn't void direct with edelweiss the can't reserve them until 96 hrs before, it's ridiculous, if I am paying anyway I feel I should be able to reserve now

DancesWithOtters Fri 19-Jan-18 16:44:26

If you don't want to pay for reserved seating then please don't be annoyed if people who HAVE paid out the arse to reserve seats will not move to let you sit together.

It's not fair on a couple who have paid extra to sit together when they are asked to move when a group who have not paid want to sit together for free.

RandomUsernameHere Fri 19-Jan-18 16:45:20

To the posters having a go at the OP, she hasn't said anywhere that she would expect others to change seats to accommodate her family.
FWIW, if I were traveling alone I would be more than happy to swap seats to allow a child to sit with their parents!

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:45:22

the airline will endeavour to seat you together

Please bear in mind that an airline’s definition of “seating together” is across the aisle or on the row in front or behind.

RandomUsernameHere Fri 19-Jan-18 16:46:43

Not in my experience. This would be more dangerous in the event of an emergency and more inconvenient for other passengers, so not in their interests.

EggsonHeads Fri 19-Jan-18 16:47:44

No, we've done similar flights before and had no trouble booking at the online check in. Usually had a bulkhead seat too.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:16

If you're happy to sit 2 and 2 and check in as early as possible, you should be fine. If you want to ensure all 4 are together, you should pay.

MrsFezziwig Fri 19-Jan-18 16:48:45

If you check in as soon as it opens then I would think you’ve got a high chance of at least getting 2 + 2, if that would be good enough. I’m not sure if the non-budget airlines would split families up anyway, though someone may correct me on this.
As others have said, though, don’t just expect others to swap seats, although saying that, you may have the most delightful 5 year old in the world but if I’m sitting next to them and you’re not I’ll be only too happy to swap!

MrsFezziwig Fri 19-Jan-18 16:50:19

X-post RandomUserName!

chefspark Fri 19-Jan-18 16:50:55

Thanks,

We'll probably sort it now rather than wait until online check opens 48 hours in advance just to be on the safe side. I don't want others who have paid to give up their seats obviously. It's just a bit galling when you pay a fortune for your ticket you don't get a seat assigned with your booking.

I was just checking what other folk do as the last time we did the long haul flight they didn't have these extra charges.

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 19-Jan-18 16:57:40

Emirates brought in these particular charges in October 2016 for their economy special or economy saver fare passengers. Its because their yield (revenue per seat) has decreased so this is another way of making money.

AJPTaylor Fri 19-Jan-18 16:58:43

Its tricky isnt it? We did florida with Virgin a few years ago. They had just introduced the charge. 50 quid each so 250 for us. Our youngest dd was 6 at the time the others teens. I checked the policy and it was that under 12s would be sat with parent. I trusted virgin to be sensible. I held my nerve and did reserve seats together for free a few weeks before.
I have to say in hindsight i should have just paid the 250. It was a drop in the ocean of the overall cost and im sure there would have been nicer seats.we ended up next to the gally with a view of the wing

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in