Talk

Advanced search

Car hire help please

(9 Posts)
TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 13-Jan-18 13:20:20

We are going to Lake Garda in May half term, flying into Milan Linate. The campsite we are staying on recommends hiring a car as it is a bit out of the way of any public transport, plus we thought it would be handy for sightseeing, shopping etc. The problem is we have never hired a car abroad before and I keep reading horror stories of being ripped off. For this reason we will probably stick to the well known companies like Hertz or Avis. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations? TIA

Hoppinggreen Sat 13-Jan-18 17:52:30

Take out an annual policy with Insurance4hire
It’s about £40, which is less than most companies charge per hire for excess insurance. If you have an accident or claim it will pay your excess ( which can be quite high). Also, retain things such as glass etc aren’t covered by the car hire Insurance
We hire several times a year and always have it, never used it but it’s good to know we have it

Hoppinggreen Sat 13-Jan-18 17:53:20

Oh, and the only time I have been ripped off was by Europcar- so a big company!!

SwedishEdith Sat 13-Jan-18 18:26:22

Don't buy their insurance, sort out your own beforehand. That's the big rip-off area.
Photograph car when you collect it and agree any scratches/marks beforehand.
Worst was Goldcar - avoid.

butterfly990 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:28:44

Make sure you have a credit card. I only have a debit card which is what I used to pay for a hire car in Dublin to find in the small print that they want a deposit and that it has to be a credit card and not cash either.

The other thing to do is to take photos of the car when you pick up the car. It also helps for when you park it and can't remember the licence plate number smile

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 13-Jan-18 22:17:51

Thanks all

Yes we have been looking into the excess insurance, and already have Gold Cars on the list of ones to avoid! Sixt seem to get the best reviews, unfortunately they are also among the most expensive but I think the extra money is worth it for the piece of mind. I think we’ll go back to countries we can drive to from home next year grin

LoniceraJaponica Sun 14-Jan-18 09:19:44

Or stay somewhere where you don't need a car. We have been to Lake Garda twice and love it. We have never felt the need to hire a car as getting around by public transport is so easy. We just used the ferries to visit different towns around the lake. Apparently the bus service is excellent as well.

Whatever you decide you will have a fabulous holiday. Lake Garda has to be one of my favourite all time destinations.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sun 14-Jan-18 17:10:36

Thanks Lonicera. What are your must sees around the lake? We are staying near Salo. We want to go up in the cable cars, go onto Rabbit Island and spend a day in Verona. What else is worth a visit?

LoniceraJaponica Sun 14-Jan-18 18:22:27

Malcesine, Gardone and Sirmione are must sees. We also went to Lazise, Peschiera and Garda.

We have stayed in Garda and Sirmione. Both very different, but equally wonderful.

Each town has a market day and it is really worth doing one of the markets. If you are planning on visiting lakeside towns the ferry is the best option. It is relaxing, you all get to see the lake at its best - and it really is so stunningly beautiful, and you won't have to deal with finding parking. There is a huge car park at Sirmione, but I imagine that parking at some of the other towns is difficult due to the nature of the topography. The top end of the lake is very hilly.

I'm jealous that you are going there. We haven't been able to go away in May for the last few years due to GCSEs/AS levels/A levels.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: