Talk

Advanced search

Could I have your ideas for a romantic 40th birthday trip for DP in December?

(9 Posts)
Frazzlerock Thu 11-Jan-18 13:10:58

So far I have looked at Iceland and Norway for Northern Lights, and also been looking at Lake Bled in Slovenia.
I've quite a limited budget. I'm thinking about £50 per night, preferably for an entire place (such as on air bnb) or hotel. somewhere with spectacular views. Flights cheap as poss too...

Any suggestions?

0hCrepe Thu 11-Jan-18 13:13:17

Venice is very romantic!

Frazzlerock Thu 11-Jan-18 13:19:10

Thank you 0hCrepe, I'm looking at something with more natural scenery rather than a city, I think... Somewhere other than the usual Italy/Spain/France, you know? (not that we ever go away, but when we do it is to European cities and beaches)

Though I'm open to suggestions and will deffo take a look at Venice

Frazzlerock Thu 11-Jan-18 15:50:53

Ok, just seen we could get a ferry to Venice if we do Slovenia - that sounds pretty ideal!

KioskKeithForPresident Sat 13-Jan-18 09:42:00

Venice is very romantic and isn't really like a city. All the water!
If you've not been, it's an amazing place and extremely romantic in the winter.

Be warned it is VERY cold though Dec/Jan - I think it's something to do with the water absorbing heat and winds. You need very warm clothing - think coats, layers and gloves etc.

Are you really set on nature/non city if you are looking for romance? There is nothing more beautiful than a classical old city at Christmas - Vienna, Prague and Paris (which is Eurostar convenient) are also very romantic.

Crumbs1 Sat 13-Jan-18 09:50:18

Salzburg is incredibly romantic.
Iceland in winter is fabulous.
Bergen is nice for a weekend with a trip to the fjords.

Your budget isn’t high though and none are cheap at the moment. Would you consider UK to help money go further? The Newlands or Borrowdale valleys in the Lake District are stunning, activities are cheaper than Europe- walking around Derwentwater is free, as is climbing Catbells. Really good food at Littletown Farm in very romantic and memorable setting. Some other excellent eating places locally too.

Or South Hams - Salcombe or Dartmouth are both lovely. If you could stretch to Dart Marina it’s good as are Salcombe Harbour hotel and the self catering Ocean views self catering at Soar Mill cove. There are cheaper cottages and wouldn’t be expensive in winter.

brizzledrizzle Sat 13-Jan-18 17:55:02

another vote for Iceland.

brizzledrizzle Sat 13-Jan-18 17:59:17

Look on Air BNB for Fossatun Pod; that's within your budget.

Reallycantbebothered Sun 14-Jan-18 18:18:33

What about Lake District or Highlands of Scotland....get a log cabin or cottage with open fire to snuggle up in after bracing walks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: