Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Skiathos?

(8 Posts)
Growingboys Tue 09-Jan-18 22:11:22

Friends have suggested we go with them to Skiathos and I've googled it and am not sure.

Has anyone been and can you recommend it? (or not?)

We'd be looking at a family holiday with pre teen children.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Pickleshickles Tue 09-Jan-18 22:15:28

Several times and rate it as the best island. I only have young children though so not sure on its suitability for preteens.

There's not much going on, beautiful beaches and a monestary and skiathos town is utterly divine. It's a cosmopolitan island and is hideously expensive in comparison to say Crete.

But it's lush and green and so lovely. Get a villa with a pool near skiathos town and you'll have a great time.

Growingboys Wed 10-Jan-18 06:12:08

Thank you so much! That is just so helpful and encouraging- thank you x

OP’s posts: |
maddiemookins16mum Thu 11-Jan-18 12:55:50

It's lovely. It also has a great little bus service than literally runs along the one main rd on the island so easy to get end to end.
Our best day out was to the rescue dog sanctuary where you can take them for walks plus we went to see Mama Mia at the outdoor cinema and had a brill night drinking wine and singing along.

LouiseBrooks Thu 11-Jan-18 13:11:59

I've been four times in three years and I know someone who's been 25 times! I would go again next year in a heartbeat (and I've been going to Greece for over 30 years and visited many islands and parts of the mainland so have lots to compare it to). It's fabulous. It's definitely more expensive than some islands but it's still cheaper than much of the UK. The town is beautiful and the quality of the restaurants, especially those in town, is amazing.

Stunning beaches, lots of pine forests, no great archaeological sites but enough to visit to keep you going and you can get boat trips to Skopelos and Alonissos. I would recommend staying either in Agia Paraskevi or close to town but the bus runs every 15 minutes in high season and covers the whole south of the island so it doesn't really matter where you stay.

I've taken girls in their teens who loved it and found plenty to do.

BTW I don't work for the Skiathos tourist board smile

Taffeta Fri 12-Jan-18 18:07:44

Ooooh love Skiathos. We went 15 years ago, the year we got married ( not on honeymoon ).

We stayed in good old “village rooms” £89 for 2 weeks grin

We hired a moped and found some amazing out of the way beaches - coves really, with one taverna sort of thing.

We got the boat to Skopelos and stayed one night on Alonissis too.

Prob my fave Greek island ❤️

namechangedtoday15 Tue 16-Jan-18 22:11:58

Also pre kids but loved it. Stayed in Agia Paraskeva as mentioned above. Lots of beautiful beaches, lovely tavernas. Got the bus into Skiathos Town in the evening for bars / people watching. There did seem to be a how-many-people-can-you-squash-on some evenings but funny. Loved it!

goose1964 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:45:56

We went for our honeymoon, if they like boats there are ferries ( little fishing boats) between the various beaches, it's also worth taking a trip to Skopolos to see a different type of island

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in