Talk

Advanced search

Machupichu and Galapagos Islands in August

(4 Posts)
user1475317873 Mon 08-Jan-18 16:40:13

Planning a trip to Machupichu and Galapagos Islands in August for two weeks and wuld like to hear advice from people who have visited these places. We are 4, 2 adults and 2 children 11 and 7.5

Is 2 weeks enough for both places?

I am concerned about the altitude when staying in Cusco but DH is very keen on visiting. We are going to be in South America for a few weeks before going to Peru, visiting family so hoping to have got used to the altitude when we visit Machu Pichu.

Any recommendations of places to stay and other places to visit.

Not sure which to do first.

Any other advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Rafflesway Wed 10-Jan-18 12:05:56

Hi, haven’t visited Galápagos Islands but we took quite an extensive tour of Peru in Autumn 2016.

Definitely do Cusco before MP as Cusco is quite a bit higher. My DH suffered quite a bit with the altitude but I was fine and it is normally me who is ill on holiday. However, you will find the hotel staff are really helpful with this. They pretty much all offer Coca tea for free and most carry oxygen for additional help. You can also purchase small cans of oxygen - which includes a face mask - to carry around with you. They were usually USD12 each whilst we were there.

MP is stunning! I would definitely recommend an overnight stay in Aguas Calientes - the small village at the base of MP. Yes it’s very touristy but really lovely.

We took a semi private tour with a reputable tour op and would certainly do this again as they organised everything for us with excellent guides throughout. The distances in Peru were quite a bit more extensive than we envisaged so wouldn’t have liked to arrange everything independently. Also a reputable operator will keep you up to date with any new regulations - they seem to be constantly changing for entry into MP - and will rearrange things for you in the event of any local strikes. BE WARNED, these are VERY common in Peru.

Don’t hesitate to pm me if you have any specific questions about Peru.
Can certainly recommend!

user1475317873 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:15:01

Thank you very much

I will PM with some questions

OP’s posts: |
inniu Tue 16-Jan-18 20:08:43

We are thinking of doing a similar trip in June/July this year with 4 children aged 7-15.
Have you thought any more about your plans?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in