Talk

Advanced search

Norway in a nutshell - anyone done this?

(6 Posts)
LaBelleSauvage123 Sun 07-Jan-18 19:59:57

We are thinking about doing this tour as part of a 4 day 3 night break in late Oct / early Nov, probably flying into Oslo as it’s cheaper than Bergen. Has anyone been and can recommend places to stay? Thinking of one night in Oslo, one en route ( Flåm? Voss?) and one in Bergen, though not sure if that will give us enough time to get back to Oslo for the flight home, so could do nights in Oslo, Bergen and Oslo again instead.
Wondering about the time of year though - apparently it’s much less touristy then but is it going to be too rainy/misty/dark to see anything of the fjords?

OP’s posts: |
Myneighboursnorlax Sun 07-Jan-18 20:05:36

Even though it’s cheaper to fly into Oslo, have you checked flying home from Bergen? When I went, we flew into Oslo, stayed for a couple of nights, caught the train to Bergen, stayed a couple of nights, and then flew home from there smile

LaBelleSauvage123 Sun 07-Jan-18 20:19:20

THats a good idea - will check.

PrincessoftheSea Sun 07-Jan-18 20:24:21

Unless you want to see Oslo that sounds very expensive. The codt of the train between Oslo and Bergen will cancel out what you save on the flights.

October and especially November will be freezing.

Loopy01 Sun 07-Jan-18 20:29:34

I've been to several places in Norway. I didn't like Oslo, it's just another city. Although the art gallery is good. I personally would fly to Bergen and if, as you say, you want to see the fjords you should consider getting a boat up the coast to trondhaim. You could get the train to Oslo from there to fly home. If budget is an issue be aware eating out in Norway is very very expensive. If you can find somewhere to stay that is self catering that might be better. Although save some pennies for hot chocolate and pastries, they are divine!

LaBelleSauvage123 Sun 07-Jan-18 22:50:33

I am starting to wonder about the sense of going at autumn half term - may/June would probably be better, though more crowded. I’ve been watching some YouTube travelogues tonight and the nutshell tour does look a bit ‘herd-like’. I loved the look of Bergen though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in