Talk

Advanced search

Two weeks in Japan!

(8 Posts)
KimchiLaLa Sun 07-Jan-18 12:12:41

I'm so excited, DH and I are off to Japan for two weeks in the autumn.
We will fly in to Tokyo. I know we want to do that plus Kyoto but does anyone have any travel schedules I can steal or if you have been there give me tips?
We are also looking for hotels priced around £150 per night max.
So excited!

OP’s posts: |
Randomlywondering Sun 07-Jan-18 12:15:39

You'll have a fantastic time!

scoutcat Sun 07-Jan-18 15:44:26

Hi! On my blog I have a few posts about how we spent 19 days travelling around Japan. We backpacked and got a Japan Rail Pass. You'll need to get a portable WiFi device so you can use your phone because free WiFi is rare. Either that, or you can rent a Japanese SIM card.
Kyoto was great but we really enjoyed some of the smaller towns like Miyajima, Takayama, Kanazawa. Buy a Lonely Planet guide book. It was our bible. My blog is www.rachaelamyreads.co.uk if you're interested.

scoutcat Sun 07-Jan-18 15:46:36

Definitely see a Geisha show or the Sumo if you can. Maybe skip Kabuki though.. 😂

Have an evening singing karaoke in one of the huge karaoke buildings (you get your own room) and definitely visit the Robot Restaurant. It's not really a restaurant, more of a show but they do serve a bento. Golden Gai in Tokyo is spectacular. Think lots of little bars that hold 3 people. Get there early though!

Oriunda Mon 08-Jan-18 19:48:54

Go to Hakone by Mount Fuji for a couple of nights. Can get a train then a bus from Tokyo. The hot spring/onsen culture is amazing plus there’s Lake Ashi and the brilliant outdoor sculpture park.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 09-Jan-18 11:47:03

Go to Nara from Kyoto: great Buddha , shrine and deer park. Easy to get to on the train for a day trip.
We stayed in a traditional Japanese house - machiya - quite a few on flip key which is part of trip advisor.

KimchiLaLa Tue 09-Jan-18 13:19:59

Thanks a lot all!

OP’s posts: |
Oriunda Wed 10-Jan-18 20:56:54

Oh yes, we did a day trip to Nara. Well worth the trip. Surreal having deer follow you into shops if you’ve got biscuits! We stayed at ryokan in Hakone and Kyoto - try to get one with an outside onsen bath.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in