Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone think my New York itinerary is missing anything?

(203 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 29-Dec-17 12:17:18

New York Trip with DH and DS's 10 and 7 I'm just over a month and I've had the time over Christmas to come up with an itinerary. Can anyone spot any problems with it such as 'must do' things missed or any things in there that are a waste of money.

Day 1: arrive at approx 9am having left UK at 6am so find hotel (near Time Square) to drop bags off then explore Time Square, 5th Avenue area including M&M world, Macy's etc check in at 3pm dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner then have a relaxing evening in the hotel and an early ish night
Day 2: Central Park, Central Park Zoo and Ice skating at the Woolman rink
Day 3: Natural History Museum and Rousevelt Tram
Day 4: One world observatory, 9/11 memorial (not the museum), Staten Island Ferry, Sea Glass carousel then walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to watch Basketball at the Barclays Centre.
Day 5: The Highline, Trump Tower and anything else we ran out of time to do on the other days or things we want to go back to etc
Day 6: check out and fly home

waitingforlifetostart Fri 29-Dec-17 12:28:13

Top of the rock? Personally I'd go in the 911 museum. It's very good. I'd be flexible with the Central Park day as it's truly beautuful of a snowy day if you get one. I'd skip the Highline in winter. It was nothing special but I imagine it's nicer in flower season. Personally wouldn't go to Trump Tower. I wouldn't give that odious man any attention. Go to Times Square at night too. It's all about the lights! I'd go to a Broadway show (we saw Matilda). I liked Bubba Gumps in Times Square. The food is nothing amazing but it's a fun place.

One of my fave days was walking across Brooklyn Bridge back towards Manhatten. It's great walking towards the Manhattan skyline. I loved Central Park.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 29-Dec-17 12:34:21

I'm with you on Trump Tower but it's one of DS(10)s things he wants to see, Trump is the first thing that has got him interested in politics, he doesn't like him at all but is curious as to Trump Tower (I think he is expecting it to be made of gold or something.)

Would the 9/11 museum be interesting for the kids? We discounted it based on cost and that the kids would be bored/not fully understand it all.

Silvercatowner Fri 29-Dec-17 12:41:28

Top of the Rock was amazing.
Trump Tower - absolutely not.
We did the Highline in winter - it was interesting but wouldn't have been top of my list.
Do a food tour - it was fantastic.

sausagerollsrock Fri 29-Dec-17 12:47:17

Top of the rock, Empire State, 911 museum, Statue of Liberty, A broadway show?

ATeardropExplodes Fri 29-Dec-17 12:47:47

Walking over Brooklyn bridge late January? Rather you than me.

Trump tower - ditch this for the top of the rock, the best view is from here.

I am a keen horticulturalist but wouldn't bother with the high line in late January.

Give yourselves flexibility as the weather can make you change your mind once it gets into your bones.

SeaToSki Fri 29-Dec-17 12:48:12

Make sure you get proper NY pizza for lunch one day. Ask a local where they would go.

BringOnTheScience Fri 29-Dec-17 12:49:15

Top of Empire State at night :-) V little queue and the views are to die for.

BringOnTheScience Fri 29-Dec-17 12:53:14

Yes to a food tour! We used these: manhattanwalkingtour.com/tour/food-tours/?gclid=CjwKCAiA7JfSBRBrEiwA1DWSGznI6Pk7l4G-dErN_oPo1zlXtdvx19Rb05gXnMPTO-bE_qSvTYqVfhoCNKkQAvD_BwE The Greenwich Village tour includes pizza so good they changed the rules of huge pizza comp to stop them winning again. Truly knock-out pizza!

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 29-Dec-17 12:53:27

We found the science museum in Queens and Momath in Manhattan much more hands on and interactive for the kids than the NH museum. The one in Queens in particular we could have stayed the whole day there.

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 29-Dec-17 12:54:28

Max Brenners chocolate cafe was a big hit as well.

TSSDNCOP Fri 29-Dec-17 12:55:43

Big Bus Tour. You can tie the tickets to the ferry trip. Ticket sellers in Times Sq.

CorbynsBumFlannel Fri 29-Dec-17 12:55:50

Oh yes and definitely a Broadway show if you're staying near Times Square!

annielouise Fri 29-Dec-17 12:58:09

Depends on your interests but I liked the tenement museum.

Helicopter ride if finances stretch to it? Done it each time I go and I love it.

RavingRoo Fri 29-Dec-17 13:01:54

Cheesecake factory. There’s also an authentic Italian cheesecake place in Brooklyn but forgot the name.

If kids like Marvel, there is a Captain America tour. Similarly also for the Godfather, Gossip Girl, Sopranos, Friends. (the cafe used for central perk is off central park).

Kossar’s for the most amazing bagels.

viques Fri 29-Dec-17 13:03:51

so many iconic movies have been shot in NY, we had a movie tick off sheet. The Library, The Statue, The Station, Empire State, Chrysler etc etc, you don't have to get too close, but work out where they are and look out for them as you go past.

TSSDNCOP Fri 29-Dec-17 13:03:53

I have seen the Radio City Christmas Show, Mathilda and the lion King on Broadway. All were the highlight of a weekend trip.

TSSDNCOP Fri 29-Dec-17 13:04:24

Would kill to see Bette in Hello Dolly.

MNOverinvestor Fri 29-Dec-17 13:07:16

I'd also forget the Highline - it's currently minus 10 in NY and it'll be more of an endurance than anything with wind howling off the Hudson. The Lower East Side is great and so is the Lower East Side Tenement Museum. Tours last an hour and they have great child-orientated ones www.tenement.org/tours.php. Afterwards, it's v close to Economy Candy www.economycandy.com/ which is a brilliant sweet shop with lots of nostalgia candy (Bazooka gum etc) and its t-shirts cost just $10 and are a v good souvenir (I'm always under orders to buy them when I'm in NY). Much cooler than M&M world (IMHO...)

MissConductUS Fri 29-Dec-17 13:08:35

I'm a New Yorker (and a Yank). I'd skip the walk over the bridge. It'll be way too cold. It may be a bit too cold for the highline too.

I would try to do the 9/11 Museum. There are lots of things the kids will enjoy seeing, and they've sectioned off the more disturbing parts in their own room, so you can see them or not at your choice. It's huge, by the way. If you do it, allow 3 hours.

The AMNH is a fabulous choice, but you must include the show at the Hayden Planetarium:

Hayden Planetarium

which is part of the Natural History Museum. It's one of the best in the world. You can buy one ticket that will get you into both. Your sons will love it.

Do try to have dinner or lunch at the Union Square Cafe:

www.unionsquarecafe.com

It is fabulous and not pretentious, so if they're reasonably well behaved your kids will be fine there. They do a great burger.

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for coming to see us! We love it when the cousins come to visit. smile

UnreasonablyPissedOff Fri 29-Dec-17 13:14:11

Ohhh...I love this thread.
We are planning to return to NY next Christmas and we have been talking a lot about it this week.

Walk down 5th Ave and check out the Flat Iron Building and all the skyscrapers

Rockefeller Sq with the HUGE tree and the ice-rink - really iconic

Soho - very cool for a wander about - loads of little galleries and cafes etc

A roof top bar for an evening cocktail taking in the views

Breakfast in Norma's in The Parker Meridian and / or a burger from the Burger Joint in The Parker Meridian - both voted in the top 10 for each category and really worth trying!

I am SOOOOOO looking forward to going back and shall be watching this thread like a hawk!

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 29-Dec-17 13:26:29

Thanks for all the tips. Looks like we will forget The Highline and maybe just walk passes Trump Tower so DS can see it rather than spend any actual time there. We will consider 9/11 museum again. Is there a cheap way to get Broadway tickets? as it's just our budget putting us off going to a show.

KioskKeithForPresident Fri 29-Dec-17 13:27:37

Empire State Building - particularly because you have the children. There are so many films that feature it and its so iconic- it would be kind of sad to be a child and go to New York and not go up the Empire State.

Teacher/friends of parents/the world: What did you do in the holidays? New York. Oh Did you go up the Empire State Building?
Child: No. sad

Go and see Something Rotten if you like musicals. You can probably get cheap tickets at the half price booth in Times Square.

Highline isn't really that interesting tbh for a first visit. If you really want to do it, the Whitney Collection is at the very end of it - great art museum but maybe not ideal for the children - and then walk back along a bit of it for a taste. There are a couple of interesting sculptures but it's nothing that special really to make it a destintation visit. It's worth it if if fits in with what you are doing anyway.

Also I think your first day is very optimistic planning given your flight times. I would factor in the fact that by lunch time everyone will be utterly done in and want an afternoon nap.

takemetomars Fri 29-Dec-17 13:29:05

Ellis island is fab too

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 29-Dec-17 13:31:22

Good point kiosk about the first day. We can check in at 3pm do you think an afternoon nap then up and out again for dinner etc would be better than pushing through and an early night, jet lag wise I mean?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now